As I mentioned in a recent post called Healthy Breakfast Ideas, not only is breakfast my favorite meal of the day, but science tells us it’s the most important for our health. So today I share with you yet another one of our family’s quick breakfasts–Instant Breakfast Sandwiches.
When you have time to make my Fake-Out Starbucks Breakfast Sandwiches and even freeze some for later, you should definitely give them a try. But, in a pinch (which is honestly most mornings, right?), here’s a sandwich that will do just fine for my people.
What makes them fixable in an instant? Using the microwave to cook your eggs! Have you done this before? It’s not my favorite way to eat eggs by themselves, but on a sandwich with some cheese and maybe some ham it doesn’t matter one bit.
- 1 whole wheat English Muffin (I find mine at Trader Joe's)
- 1 T butter
- 1 egg, preferably organic or local
- splash of milk
- cooking spray
- ½ piece of cheddar cheese
- optional: 1 piece of ham or cooked bacon
- Toast the English muffin and spread butter on the inside of both pieces.
- Spray a small microwave-safe glass bowl/storage container with cooking spray. (The small Pyrex ones are great.) Crack egg into bowl. Add a splash of milk. Whisk until combined.
- Microwave egg for 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave another 30 seconds. If it isn't done, then nuke in 15 second increments until it is. It's important not to overcook the egg or else it gets tough.
- Tear the cheese into pieces and put some on each side of the toasted muffin. Add the egg. Add ham or bacon, if you want. Allow a minute for the cheese to melt and enjoy!