DIY Reusable Snack Bags – Go Green!

I’ve become more and more aware of how many plastic bags and Ziplocks our home goes through. It’s a crazy amount that is only increasing as our family grows. I don’t like to think how many must be in landfills taking thousands of years to decompose. I realize there are some situations where a plastic bag is necessary. However, there are plenty of times that a reusable bag would be sufficient. The good news is, they are REALLY easy to make! I often use mine to trasport fruit, crackers, trail mix, and cereal. I use it for my daughter’s snacks too. Every time I use them, I feel good about not adding one more Ziplock to the landfill.

This is a great project for all sewing skills. Ready to try it out?

You’ll need some oil cloth fabric to make these. It is basically the fabric you use for picnic tables. I got this remnant at Hobby Lobby for 1.97.

Cut two 9×6 inch pieces (you can make this bigger or smaller depending on the size of bag you want).

Place the pieces wrong sides together and pin well.  Zig zag stitch all around the edges of your piece.

Cut two pieces of velcro and pin them on opposite edges of your bag. Sew in place.

Now, fold your bag in half to where the velcro pieces meet up. Sew along all the edges (except of course, the top). Make sure to reverse stitch when done!

That’s it! Now make a few more in different sizes so you have one for all types of snacks!

Pin It

Like this post? Join thousands of other subscribers and get our weekly newsletter.

Comments

1. Christine says

This is such a great idea! My daughter would love it if I packed her lunch in little bags!

Thank you so very much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer… From Dream To Reality!!

2. PAM says

Love this idea…will be making some soon!

3. Tiffany says

Easiest tutorial I have yet to find for these! Now I need some oil cloth!

4. Pingback: One Small Change to Help the Environment (and save money!)

5. Pingback: Repurpose Old T-Shirts into Reusable Grocery Bags

6. Katy says

I LOVE your blog. As the mother of 2 young boys and we also have 2 young dogs. I am also an Acupuncturist and a huge proponent of homemade, all natural, organic, grass fed, GF, etc. wherever possible (and appropriate ;)) and I encourage my boys, as well as my clients. Living a healthy lifestyle teaches our children that their bodies can thrive by giving it what it needs, and that starts at home. It also forces us, as adults, to walk that talk! Your site has so many fantastic ideas- a lot of which I already do, but so many more I can’t wait to incorporate. Thank you so much for sharing!

Thanks, Katy! I agree, kids are the best form of accountability out there. Thanks for reading and your kind words.

7. Liz says

Hi, just out of curiosity, how do you clean these?

Since I primarily use the bags for dry snacks, I just wipe them out with a wet wash cloth. If you were to use them for fruit or anything that leaves a sticky residue I would use a cleaning solution. Good luck!