• Mailbox Makeover

by Polly on April 4, 2012

I love spray painting things. LOVE IT. It is easy, fast, cheap and gives big results.

This is a project I’ve been itching to get to for a while. Our mailbox was beginning to show rust and was in much need of some TLC.

Here’s what one hour of work did for our front porch.

Isn’t the difference crazy!? Freshly painted address numbers show that you are proud of your home. They make a big statement to those who enter (or potential buyers if you’re thinking about selling your home). To see the step by step process I went through for this project, keep on reading!

After giving both the numbers and the mailbox a good wipe down, I pulled out some Krylon red spray paint. I chose a gloss finish for this project.

I gave them a good three layers- even four in a few spots. Make sure to let each layer dry before adding another one.  The key to spray painting is to not hold the can in one spot too long. I accidentally did this and ended up having to sand the bubbles down and spraying over it again.

Once the paint had completely dried, I cut out a fun vinyl shape with my Silhouette Machine and stuck it on the corner of my mailbox.

Spray painted Mailbox with Silhouette Shape

Now this happy, cheery set is ready for some mail!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...Pin It

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Kimberly @ The Brown Eyes Have It April 4, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Wow, what a difference that makes. Love the red pops of color and I’m sure it’s easier for people to see your house numbers now.

Polly April 4, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Thanks! I’m really excited about how well it turned out. It’s amazing what a little spray paint can do!

Allison April 4, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I love the red. I am going to paint our rusty white mailbox (but have to do black since it’s at the end of the driveway and a cool color might freak the neighbors out) :) Another thing I’ve done recently is paint our shiny medal towel racks in the bathroom. I used a brushed metal look black spray paint made for rusty metal (basically made for metal is the point). 5 months later and it’s not wearing off. I love spray paint like you :)

Jema Watts April 4, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Love this! I could do this but I don’t have a Silouette machine. It’s on my list though!

comeca April 21, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Adorable!!!!

Crystal May 3, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Could you post a link to this particular shape?

Polly May 19, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I’m sorry, Crystal! I don’t know how to find the link to shapes. Any suggestions?

Letterboxes October 19, 2012 at 2:24 am

You did a great makeover. So nice to see that your mailbox was turned again into a fresh looking one. Who can tell that it was old. Through painting you can make mailboxes into an eye-catching one.

Elizabeth January 4, 2013 at 12:54 am

I found your post via a Google search on spraypainting your mailbox. How has the paint held up against the elements? I just got nice new brown shutters and would love to have a brown mailbox to match. I’m hesitant to paint it, though, if it will start looking shabby quickly.

Polly January 4, 2013 at 3:04 am

Hi Elizabeth
    The paint has held up great! Just make sure you give the paint a few days to dry before using it. Even if it feels dry, let it sit without use for a few days. I haven’t seen any signs of wear on my mailbox yet!

ashley February 3, 2013 at 3:28 am

I found the shape on silhouette online store — called bubble plant #16886 try this link: http://www.silhouetteonlinestore.com/php/?page=view-shape&id=16886

Megan July 12, 2013 at 10:30 am

Hi there! I found your blog through a google search and love this makeover! Quick question: did your mailbox have any sort of primer on it already? I’ve read in a few places that if you don’t (use a primer) then the paint will peel and the mailbox will rust. BUT if I can skip that step, I’d be happy to! Thanks in advance for your input!

Polly July 12, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Hi Megan
    I didn’t use primer and have no peeling or rusting and it’s been over a year. However, my mailbox isn’t directly in the rain. It is attached to our house under an overhang. If it were out on the street like most mailboxes, I probably would have primed it to give it a bit more protection. Thanks for asking!

Megan July 17, 2013 at 12:07 pm

That’s great! Thanks for responding. Your blog is awesome! :-)