Disclaimer: This recipe was created in partnership with Frigidaire. But the opinions are all ours!
Three cheers for the slow cooker! I love this set it and forget it Slow Cooker Steak Chili because I don’t have to do anything but dump it in, set the timer, and walk away. Seriously. Several hours later I’ve got a hearty and comforting family meal. Just a few minutes of prep work results in an all-day, slow-cooked Tex-mex flavor! Wouldn’t this be a fun tailgate recipe this fall?
Note: The heat level is fairly mild, so be sure to kick up the red pepper flakes if you like it hot.
- 1½ pounds stew beef, cut in 2-inch chunks
- ½ medium onion, finely diced (or ½ cup frozen diced onions, to save time)
- 1 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 28 ounce can petite diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more to add heat)
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Optional toppings: grated cheese, sour cream or Greek yogurt, diced avocados, a squeeze of lime, and/or fresh cilantro
- Put the stew beef chunks, onion, pinto beans, tomatoes, and beef broth in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with chili powder, ground cumin, salt, garlic powder, crushed red pepper flakes, dried oregano, paprika, and pepper. Stir gently to combine.
- Turn the slow cooker onto HIGH and cook for 5-6 hours or until beef shreds easily with a fork.
- Shred beef with a fork before serving, if desired.
- Add optional toppings of choice and serve warm.
Place all ingredients in freezer bag and seal BEFORE cooking. Freeze until ready to use. (Note: You can also fully cook the chili, cool it, and freeze for later.)
Thaw in the refrigerator or using the defrost setting on the microwave. Cook in the slow cooker according to directions. (Note: If chili is fully cooked, then warm over low heat in crockpot or on stove top.)