How to Get Yellow Stains Out of Stored Baby Clothes

A rumbling-tumbling-jumping belly, achy back, out of breath…all the time, decreased appetite, and hating 95% of clothing can only mean one thing: the third trimester!

It’s game time baby.

The nursery is starting to take shape and I’m starting to knock off some to-do’s before baby #3 arrives. Since we aren’t finding out the gender of this one, one of my big tasks was to dig out infant clothes for both genders. I’ve stored and hauled around bins and bins of these pre-washed, organized baby clothes for years knowing that this day would come.How to remove the yellow staining that shows up in stored baby clothes. And yes, this will likely happen to you!

So, I’m sure you can imagine the shock and horror I experienced when I opened up the first container to find a mysterious yellow staining on almost all of my baby clothes! I washed these, I tell you! The yellow staining was particularly bad on the girl clothes that had been stored for 4 years now. The boy clothes did not escape the yellow-plague by any means either.

Since hormones and emotions are a bit heightened presently, I came close to calling it all a loss and throwing away all of the totally ruined-hopeless-grossly yellowed clothes. Drama.

Well, luckily I still had a tad bit of sanity left that evening and decided to do a little research on the issue.

Turns out, I’m not alone.

The Culprit

It’s quite common for stored baby clothes to go into storage clean and come out a few years later with discoloration–even if you’ve washed them well. The culprit: the protein from milk. This can come from breastmilk or even spit-up. Even if they’ve been washed, the residue can remain and bond to the clothing. Over time it takes on a yellowish color.

The Remedy

After digging a bit more, I learned that many have had success in removing these stains using OxiClean. So, on my next store run, I snagged a tub of it and gave it a whirl. How to remove the yellow staining that shows up in stored baby clothes. And yes, this will likely happen to you!

You guys.

IT WORKED!

I feel like only fellow mothers can appreciate the triumph of the situation. (When I told my husband about it all he was happy but, I guarantee you, hasn’t given it a thought since.) It not only got stains OUT but I feel like it brightened up the clothes and made them look almost new. How to remove the yellow staining that shows up in stored baby clothes. And yes, this will likely happen to you!

Step by Step Guide on How to Remove Stains

Here is exactly how I got those yucky yellow stained clothes looking good as new.

I set my washer on a medium-load, hot water soak cycle. I then put 6, yes 6 scoops of OxiClean. The directions said to put a scoop for every gallon of water and my best guess what that my load would be about 6 gallons. It seemed like an insane amount of detergent to put in a load but I was trusting the directions. How to remove the yellow staining that shows up in stored baby clothes. And yes, this will likely happen to you!

I let it soak about 10 hours (overnight) and then ran a wash cycle as normal.

The clothes came out STAIN FREE. Stain free, I tell you! Here are a few before and afters of some of the boys clothes:How to remove the yellow staining that shows up in stored baby clothes. And yes, this will likely happen to you!

It even worked just as well on the four year old stains on the girl clothes.

So mama friends, learn from this gal. Don’t be shocked when your precious, cleanly stored baby clothes come out with the yellow plague. While no vaccine may be available, rest assured that there is an easy cure.

Comments

1. hickorynut says

Wow! This would have been great to know 2 years ago before I relocated a ton of onesies to the rag bag. Sadly my boys are all out of the itty-bitty phase. I can’t believe how well that worked!! Great information!!

I know, right?! Wonder how many clothes are thrown away because of this fixable problem.

• Kim says

Is there any way of knowing whether they will re-appear AGAIN down the road? I’m considering washing some special baby clothes to keep down the road for my grandchildren…

I haven’t had the chance to test it out over the long haul yet so I can’t tell you anything for sure!

2. Elizabeth says

Hi! Just found your post as we have baby #3 due in July and our first two are 7 and 4–giving the oxyclean a try with all the clothes I just pulled out. Question–the gender of this baby is also a surprise and we have a boy and a girl–did you soak all the clothes together or do I need to the pink ones separately? Thanks!

You can put a mix of colors in. No need to separate! Good luck!

3. Stacy says

How do you use this for a front load washer? I love Oxi Clean but I have been unable to figure this part out. I am struggling with my 11 month old who takes his bibs off while eating and I am trying to save all of his blueberry stained clothes.

To be honest, I’m really not sure. Maybe give the clothes a soak in a big container of some type and then run them through the cycle after that.

4. Alicia L says

Thank you. This worked great and now I’m a little obsessed with OxiClean!

5. A says

Oooh I keep hearing great things about OxiClean and now I’m going to get my first tub this week! I just pulled out baby clothes, looking for gender neutral for our 3rd as well. I’m curious though, I’ve always been hesitant to use hot water on anything but pure white– do colored clothes, after many washes, not bleed? I’m mostly seeing the yellow staining on the whiter clothes, a few that have colored stripes or patterns too though…

No bleeding at all! I didn’t see any change in coloring.

6. Bonnie says

OxiClean stain remover in the spray bottle works like a charm.. no need for soaking and 6 scoops of soap. I always spray on all the necklines before washing baby’s clothes whether I can see yellow or not.. always come out sparkling clean!

7. Megan says

Is hot water best for getting these type stains out?

That is what I used!

8. Mariella says

I had several expensive baby clothes that I took out of storage after 12 years. There were yellow stains on them and I thought I would have to throw them out. This technique was a life and wallet saver. I filled the tub and put in about 8 scoops of oxyclean and soaked it overnight. The next morning the stains were all out. This saved me over $1000 in replacing the clothes!
    Thanks so much!!!

9. Jennifer Sanders says

Just curious about when you ran a “normal wash cycle” – did you add an additional detergent at that point – oxyclean or otherwise? Thanks!

Nope! Just used oxyclean.