Which Cookbook Cover Should We Use? Your Vote Counts!

As you probably know by now, we have a cookbook in the works that is set to be released this September. Read more about the whole cookbook writing process here if you want.

But, we’ve got a big problem, dear friends. We love both of these book covers for different reasons and simply don’t know what to do.

Yes, we are probably crazy for doing this BUT we are putting decision of which cookbook cover to use in YOUR hands. I repeat, Thriving Home readers are going to decide which cover we will use for our cookbook! No tricks. No signups. We genuinely want to know which cover you like better.

So imagine yourself perusing the cookbook section in Barnes and Noble. Which cover would make you want to reach out and pick up this book?

Option #1?

Option #2?

We created a very simple voting form on google that will only take 10 seconds of your time. After you vote, leave a comment below and let us know why you voted the way you did. We’d love to hear your thought process.

Hop over to vote now!

Voting ends THIS Friday (February 10th) at 11:59 p.m. We will announce the winner next week.

Won’t it be fun to be browsing through a store and see the cookbook cover that you had a part in? Excited to see what you guys pick! We will announce the winner next week.

Comments

1. Carla says

Cover #1 jumped out at me more because of the solid Orange. I, too#communications like both covers four different reasons. But #1 would stand out more on a shelf of cookbooks.

2. Alisa says

Cover 1 looks inviting. Cover 2 makes me think of worms. Also, if I wanted to make foods to freeze for later, I’d reach for Cover 1. With Cover 2, I would assume the book only had recipes made from frozen foods found at the grocery store, because the dish doesn’t look like one to make for stocking your freezer.

3. Rena says

I think you should have 3 different foods on the cover. The bright orange from cover 1, the limes and purple shredded cabbage from cover 2 are all eye grabbers. But if these are the only options then I choose 1.

4. Brenda Jahnke says

I think #1 stands out more because of the vivid color of the soup and how it contrasts with the colors of the cheese and the pumpkin seeds. Since I don’t eat shellfish, I also like #1 better 🙂

5. Julie says

I chose option #2 because the shrimp dish was more colorful and it looks more appetizing than the other dish.

6. Gigi says

If you had given a third option, with pictures of both the soup and the salad, I would have chosen that one. Since you didn’t, I chose #1 because the soup looks simpler than the salad.

7. Jen says

Oh man, tough call…they’re both beautiful! I voted #1 also because of the contrast of colors and being more eye-catching. I also thought it seemed a bit more visibly “freezer to table”-ish than the elements in #2 if that makes sense. I also like the suggestion of having more than one type of dish on the cover, but at this point in the feedback game that probably not super helpful 😉

8. Keith Coates says

The dishes on Cover 2 were less appealing to the eye than those on Cover 1 – the salads look messy and, to me, less appetizing.

9. Joy says

I voted number one. I like the color and swirl in the soup. I freeze soup more than most foods. I don’t think about freezing items in the second picture, but at first it looked like a salad to me.

10. Sherry says

Initial reaction is definitely #1 … it just was more pleasing to my eye. Then when I really looked at the pictures …. #1 being a soup seems more comfort food and warming. #2 looks busier and more complicated.

11. Malissa Peacock says

I love the design! The cover picturing the butternut squash/pumpkin soup (?) cover is the more striking of the two, I think. Might I suggest more than one “dish” on the cover? I love the soup photo, but one or two other non-soup items might give the impression that there are different types of recipes in the cookbook. In any case, it is an impressive cover. Great work! I really admire both of you for your enterprising spirit — and that you are such good cooks! Thanks!

12. Christine says

I want the shrimp bowl!!!
    Yummmmmm

13. Kelsey says

I love both of them, but I voted for #2. It’s brighter and has more color. The first cover looks pretty, but if I were to see that in B&N I might think it’s only a cookbook about soups and skim right over it (just based on the picture). #2 is so pretty and looks like a broth/noodle/burrito bowl which are all the rage right now.

14. Rochelle says

I voted for option #2 simply because I think the dish will be more attractive/ appealing to more people. I didn’t necessarily think of time involved to make the dishes or anything but the second dish is more colorful and looks “pretty.”

15. I voted for Option#1 for 2 reasons…
    I love the orange in contrast with the blue/green words/table etc. I also chose it because your book hits the stands in the fall and this dish screams fall. However, that could be a bad thing long term? Will people buy the cookbook year round if it appears to be “fallish”? On the flip side…the salad looks spring/summer… and pretty…but may not as clearly say “freeze me!” Or “I’ve been frozen”.

16. Amy Fisher says

I like Option #1 but add a bowl of that yummy goodness in option #2 with it!!!!

17. Helen says

I like cover #1 because of the simplicity and because I love creamy squash soup. Cover #2 is pretty, too, but a little too busy.

18. Denise J says

I voted for cover #2 but they both look great. I think at first glance cover #1 is eye catching because of the orange color, but for me and my family, it doesn’t look like a dish I would make. The dish on cover #2 however, does…so I’d be more likely to grab the book if the cover looked like a meal I’d make for supper that night.

19. Holly says

#1

20. Emily Pilkington says

I’d rather eat number 2 (though both look yummy), but I like #1 visually better and voted for it. I think the orange provides a bigger contrast and pops more.

21. Regina Wigger says

I voted for #2. Soups would never get me to pick up a book and browse thru it. Option #2 made me hungry and I was ready to get the book.

22. Sue says

Option #1 appealed to me more. I like the colors and simplicity of the food.

23. #2 because while i know soups are great freezer meals, the bowls in cover #2 look SO fresh & healthy. i’m curious as to what you freeze and how the freezer helps make that dish a reality on my dinner table. just seems a little more interesting, in my opinion.

24. Lynn Milyo says

I couldn’t believe how fast my eyes were drawn to left /number one. Vivid and looks easier too. But both are beautiful and you couldn’t go wrong!

25. Val says

I chose #1! Since it’s due to be released in September, I thought the pumpkin soup (?) on the front would be timely. Also, while I think both are great, #2 looked reminiscent of a Real Simple cover (compliment 😉 #1 looks more individual/unique to me. Either one will represent you guys well! Looking forward to the cookbook!

26. Michelle says

I’d pick #2 – #1 is beautiful in its color scheme, but almost looks as if it would be a soup book if you were to walk by and glance, while #2 exudes healthy- looking food. Combining 3 different concoctions might be pretty and show the buyers different varieties in your book, but also might be too busy for a cover. Congratulations on your book! 🙂

27. Laura Neal says

#2 because it’s hard to believe that rush is a freezer meal! Both covers look fantastic though! Congrats! How exciting!

• Laura Neal says

Rather Meal vs rush. Sorry

28. Susan says

I thought the colors on the first one were more vibrant and the soup looked more appetizing.

29. Liz says

I had a hard time choosing, they’re both really nice! But I went with Option #2 because the first one, with the soups, although lovely and appetizing, may subconsciously remind people of fall and winter, whereas the dish shown on Option #1 communicates more year-round, thus more versatility.

30. hickorynut says

#2 for sure…The purples from the cabbage and the green from the limes are very pleasing to the eye. Also look more appetizing in my opinion than the bowls full of just orange. The textures make it more interesting.

31. They are both lovely, but I agree with many of the first section of comments (funny how they went from mostly #1 to mostly #2), for several reasons, mostly already stated. I prefer #1 because of the color contrast, the simplicity of the design, the pretty “swirl”, and the fact that it looks more like something my family would enjoy. The second one may not appeal to non-seafood lovers. I also agree that number one conveys the idea of freezer meals a little better. If possible to try one with a bowl of the shrimp dish combined, it may work (and could be the best of both worlds, but my guess is it would be too busy.

Either one will be a win, and I can’t wait to see which one you pick! So grateful to have a little part in trying some of the recipes and choosing the cover!

• I don’t know if this counts as a separate vote, but for a different perspective, I asked my youngest son what he thought. He’s a high school senior who is somewhat artistic (possibly going into graphic design), and he also prefers #1. He said he liked the looks of it better, and when probed, stated it was because of the color and design as well as the fact that the food was more appealing to him. 🙂

Tell him thank you for his opinion!

Thank you for your time and help! We are so appreciative.

32. Rita says

I picked option 2 because it was more appetizing and appealing to me. Not that I didn’t like Option 1, it is just that I am a shrimp lover.

33. Kaitlin says

I prefer cover #2 because it shows a dish I wouldn’t expect to see in a freezer cookbook. If you are looking to grow your audience this might be the right cover. While cover #2 looks attractive, it shows soup, and that is the typical freezer meal. I don’t need to buy a cookbook to make soup.

In the end, it’s all about your target audience and who you want to attract to your cookbook.

34. Lynn says

I chose Option 1, visually it was more appealing to me and stood out more. The second option didn’t “pop” visually as much as the first option either. Another point: under the title, it is written “simple, whole foods”, your key word being Simple: Option 1 appears a little more simple to cook than Option 2. (Not saying that is the case, but to a beginner cook, option 1 reflects the title a little more and may be less intimidating.

35. Beth says

When I buy a cookbook I don’t care if the colors are pretty – I care if it’s good I’m actually going to cook and eat. Cover#2 is a dish that looks fresh, healthy, and like something my family would eat no matter the season.

36. Beth says

I agree with a lot of the other comments, that I would like to see different dishes rather than multiples of one. Also that I already know how to freeze soup and would be interested to see how the dish on cover 2 was frozen. However, I voted for cover 1 because of the layout. The spacing of the bowls was more balanced to my eye and better placed.

37. Geri Jaeger says

#1 because of its simplicity and color. Too much going on in #2

38. Amber says

Since these recipes are most likely easy, healthy, and family friendly, cover #1 gives you more of that impression, whereas cover #2 looks complicated and less kid friendly.

39. AMK says

Cover #1
    Good luck ladies!!

40. Jada says

Cover #2. #1 is something I would never make and I wouldn’t pick up the book because of that.

41. Chandra Hall says

I voted for option one. I like that it is cleaner, with a nice direct color to it. I also prefer the larger script of the title. I feel like less is more in this instance. Good luck. This is very exciting!!

42. Veronica says

If it is being put out in September I would opt for cover #1, the “autumn-ness” of the cover might be more enticing for that time of year. But cover #2 is more vivid with the purple cabbage and grabs your attention with a burst of color. Both covers are good, I don’t envy you in having to choose which one 🙂

Thanks so much, Veronica!

43. Cindy says

Option one because of the contrasting colors but also because it looks like comfort..warm and inviting

44. Mary Leibovich says

I picked cover #2 because I know soup freezes well but I am intrigued by the shrimp dish as a freezer meal.

45. Sarah says

Cover 1. Cover two doesn’t look like anything I would ever eat, so I wouldn’t even skim trough it.

46. Aleta says

While I love the color of the soup in cover 1, I chose cover 2. I think the shrimp dish will have a more wide appeal. It looks like a healthier option. I also think it may speak more to someone looking for ideas for the freezer meals. Soup from the freezer? Sure. But something different from the freezer? That may sell a cookbook.

47. Eliz says

Definitely cover #2.

Cover #1: While I like the color contrast, I definitely would not buy it in the store because soups aren’t really my family’s thing. Also, butternut squash/pumpkin soup has been All. Over. The. Internet. So while I actually enjoy eating it in the fall, it is a dish that feels trendy in a “gonna be passe soon” kind of way. And, as someone else mentioned, it’s unsurprising that soup would be a freezer meal. There’s a whole bunch of books out there and a lot are telling me things I already know – cover #1 gives me that impression. Perhaps reading too much into it, but oh well.

Now, the reasons I like cover #2? Beautiful colors that won’t look as busy (as some have said) on an 8″x8″ book (or whatever size it is). The shrimp bowl looks delicious and I would totally flip through the book to see how in the world it’s a freezer meal?! 😉 Also it’s intriguing because I would wonder what other types of freezer meals are in the book that I’ve not seen before.

Thanks for putting so much trust into your readers’ hands. I really enjoy your blog and feel appreciated 🙂

Wow, great feedback!

• Donna says

Eliz you said it so well. These were my thoughts as well.

48. Tracy says

Option #1

49. Katie says

Cover #1 is my choice. Freezer to table goes better with soup than salad. Also, the color is eye catching.

50. Lydia Coathup says

I definitely vote for cover #1.. i feel the welcoming to the cover ..
    We love your meals and cannot wait for the cookbook to come out on sale because I’ve told my husband that this is the cookbook.fir our family . He so agreed and so did our 8 year princesss whose autistic ( she loves the mini meatloaf muffins too )..
    Keep it up❤️

Thanks so much, Lydia! Did your daughter get to hear the song my neighbors made up about it? Blessings to your family!

51. Betsi Bentz says

I vote for option #2. While the Orange does grab your eye in option #1, my first thought given the title was that the book was only filled with soup recipes. Option #2 made me think the book was filled with more exciting recipes that would make week night cooking easier and meals my family would enjoy. Either way I’m excited for this book. I’ve been prepping a lot of freezer meals for my elderly parents.

52. Crystal says

Cover one….it is freezing cold where I live and that soup looks so inviting!

53. Carmen says

Both book covers are definitely beautiful. I voted for #2. I just finished perusing a locally printed soup cookbook from an artisans market and found it to be boring …. a good number of the recipes were pureed and looked like cover #1. I was disappointed in the soup recipes but did find a salad dressing recipe that I will try. Cover #2 on the other hand appeals to my ideal of health eating and just looking at the cover makes me hungry. I look forward to purchasing From Freezer to Table when the cover catches my eye.

54. Rachel R. says

I voted for number two because I like the way the pinks and purples pop. But honestly, I don’t find them hugely different in terms of appeal; they both look good!

55. Wendy says

Great job! You guys are amazing. Is it too late to have a cover with both dishes on it? I voted for #1 because it stood out, but #2 was beautiful as well. My family does not eat shrimp so I would not grab for that cook book on the B&N shelf. Either way, kudos to you both! You have definitely made a difference in my life.

You are not alone in requesting a cover with both dishes! Thank you for your kind comments and for voting, Wendy.

56. Karlene says

I chose cover 1 because it seems as though it could have come out of the freezer more. The fresh food in cover 2 does not make me feel confident that the recipes are from the freezer (mostly). I would skip right over it thinking the author didn’t know what they were talking about-especially an author I was unfamiliar with. I also love soup in the winter/colder months-which is when I have the least time to cook. So, cover 1 pulls me in for that as well.

57. Conni says

I chose #1. It has a nice fall look to it and since it will be coming out in September I think it will be appropriate. Very pretty

58. Brenda Brown says

I like #2. It looks like a more filling and pleasing meal. They are both beautiful though! Congrats!

59. Danielle says

That both covers have your names & TH, I’d buy either…a win-win, since both of these great pics of your meals would be featured inside! Inside is where is really matters anyway, and if you’ve gone to half the care with the material as you did the cover…print enough copies! My vote is the soup cover…it kind of works like an appetizer, whetting the appetite for more…simplicity, presented well does that***which is very reminiscent of how you represent yourselves as wives, moms, friends, smart cooks… & ultimately awesome bloggers! Down to earth, real, humble…anything but simple. Cover #2 is not over the top or showy by any means, think- less is more here! Really like the detail of rustic look with #1, roughed up table and spilled over cheese. Best to both of you!

Ah, this really made our day. Thanks for believing in us!

60. Kate Kelly says

I enjoy #1 more due to the simplistic nature of the picture. I also agree with some other readers that it looks more Freezer Friendly (FF)! than the other one. Also, I think shrimp/shellfish might be a turn off for some readers since it’s a pretty specific kind of protein.

61. Amy Isaacson says

When I think of Freezer Meals, I think of soup….which my kids are not such fans of and I also have plenty of cookbooks with those type of recipes. When I read freezer meals and see something with noodles, I am intrigued and get excited that it won’t be the same ‘ol, same ‘ol as every other freezer meal book. I don’t need a cookbook to help me know how to freeze soup, but I definitely need one to help me make that noodle dish!

62. Kirsten says

Honestly, I’m not a soup or shrimp lover, so neither food appealed to me (sorry) but the first picture is prettier to me. Now I know this isn’t helpful now, but maybe for future editions (?!), maybe show different meals instead of bowls of the same one — you’ll possibly grab more people with different tastes. =) Thanks for this opportunity!

Thanks for your feedback, Kirsten. The good news is that we’ll have a huge variety of freezer meals in the book, so hopefully you’ll find lots that appeal to you!

63. Deanna says

i voted for number 1 because I don’t like shrimp. 🙂 Too bad you couldn’t show more than one dish on the cover to attract even more people!

64. Karen says

I want to devour that shrimp bowl, but I would choose #1. The colors and different textures drew me in right away. Either one, you know there’s good stuff waiting!

Thanks for your vote and your encouraging words!

65. Kimberly says

While both are lovely, #1 jumped out at me! Congrats on the new book 🙂

Thanks so much, Kimberly!

66. melissa says

I really like the blend of colors on Cover 2.

67. Cara says

Both are great! I voted for Option #1 (even though Option #2 looks more delicious) because Option #2 looks intimidating to make. Since the book seems to be about making life easier, I think the target audience is likely more drawn to a meal that they can imagine themselves making. The colors and simplicity of Option #1 have nice pop. Way to go ladies! Very exciting!

68. Y Knowles says

#1 is the best. More eye-catching and best for a fall release. I don’t eat shrimp, so #2 is a turnoff. I agree with others, who said the orange bowl plus another non-soup dish would have been nice.
    Congratulations on all of your hard work on this project coming to an end with a publication date!