Easy Breakfast Casserole Muffins {Freezer Meal}

We love this easy Breakfast Casserole Muffin recipe. It’s made with simple ingredients that you likely have in your kitchen. These make a fabulous, freezer friendly breakfast. For sure worth a try!

Easy breakfast casserole muffin recipe. Simple ingredients that you likely have in your kitchen can make this fabulous, freezer friendly breakfast. For sure worth a try!(Looking for healthy freezer meal recipes? We have 70+ of our favorites HERE!)

I’m always on the lookout for easy breakfast ideas that are tasty, family-friendly, use up leftovers, and potentially freeze and reheat well.  These Breakfast Casserole Muffins fit the bill for sure on the first three accounts. In fact, this recipe is in our free e-cookbook, Top 10 Easy Freezer Meals.

Click here to subscribe

Wondering if these work as a freezer meal? Well, I tried a Freezer Meal experiment with two of them. I wrapped them tightly in plastic wrap and a freezer bag and froze them. Then, I took them straight from the freezer and microwaved them for about a minute total (turning them once).  They turned out fine!  Of course, I would say they are best when straight from the oven, but the texture and taste wasn’t much different at all.

One of the best parts about these savory muffins is that it’s super easy to include your kids in the preparation.  My kiddos love helping me tear up leftover bread pieces (which I store in a ziplock in the freezer) and placing them in each greased muffin tin.  They also help sprinkle cheese, tear up and scatter ham pieces, and stir the egg mixture. It’s such an easy breakfast idea!

The measurements in my recipe are approximate. It’s hard to mess these up, so use your judgment as you go. Just take a look at how easy it is to put these together! Pin this image and be sure to make these often in the future.Easy breakfast casserole muffin recipe. Simple ingredients that you likely have in your kitchen can make this fabulous, freezer friendly breakfast. For sure worth a try!

easy breakfast casserole muffins

Easy Breakfast Casserole Muffins

• Author: Thriving Home
  • Prep Time: 10
  • Cook Time: 18
  • Total Time: 28 minutes
  • Yield: 12 muffins
  • Category: breakfast
  • Method: baking

Description

Ingredients

• 3-4 pieces whole wheat bread, torn into small pieces (enough to fill muffin tins almost to top)
  • 3-4 slices deli ham (look for preservative-free)
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 8 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 teaspoons ground mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper (or more or less to taste)
  • dried Parsley

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease muffins tins well.
  2. Drop bread pieces evenly in muffin tins until they come about 2/3 of the way up the tin.
  3. Sprinkle ham pieces evenly in each tin.
  4. Sprinkle cheese evenly in each tin.
  5. Whisk together eggs, milk, ground mustard, and pepper.
  6. Pour egg mixture evenly in each muffin tin.
  7. Sprinkle a little dried Parsley on the top of each one.
  8. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown on top and cooked through the middle.

Notes

Freezer Meal Instructions:
To Freeze: Bake according to instructions and fully cool. Place in a single layer in a freezer container or bag. Seal well, squeezing out excess air, and freeze.
To Prepare: Wrap a muffin in a moist paper towel and microwave in 30 seconds increments until heated through. Or thaw in the refrigerator and warm in the microwave.

The Best Freezer Meal Resource

Although we love the recipes from our blog like this one, we actually spent over a year painstakingly developing, testing, and retesting over 75 new, freezer-friendly recipes for our cookbook called From Freezer to Table (Rodale Books).

All of the recipes in From Freezer to Table are delicious, made from whole foods, are easy to prepare, and can be made fresh or frozen for later. Plus, every recipe includes freezer meal instructions. Our cookbook is a beautiful resource you will pull out again and again! (Scroll below for a sneak peek of a few favorites from the book.)

From Freezer to Table CookbookShrimp Curry Bowls might just be my (and my 8-year-old daughter’s) favorite recipe in the whole book. Get ready for a Thai party in your mouth…

Shrimp Curry Bowls from From Freezer to Table Cookbook. Order book at fromfreezertotable.com today!

Is breakfast your thang? We’ve got tasty whole foods breakfasts that will be waiting for your family on those hurried mornings. The Chocolate Zu-Nana Waffles are a guaranteed kid-favorite…

Chocolate Zu-Nana Waffles from From Freezer to Table cookbook. Order today at www.fromfreezertotable.com.

And Mixed Berry Scones, made with whole wheat and all good-for-you ingredients, will knock your socks off and start your day off right…

Mixed Berry Scones from From Freezer to Table cookbook. Order your copy today at www.FromFreezerToTable.com.

Last but not least, you’ll find family favorites that are quick and easy for weeknights but work just as well for dinner guests. Crispy Chicken with Lemony Butter Sauce is an elegant and mouth-watering meal you’ll make again and again…

Crispy Chicken with Lemony Butter Sauce from From Freezer to Table cookbook. Order your copy today at www.FromFreezerToTable.com.

In From Freezer to Table, we also teach you how to make freezer cooking a lifestyle either on your own or with friends, so that you can enjoy healthy, stress-free meals around the table with your loved ones. Order your copy today.Learn to prepare delicious, healthy, stress-free meals for the family that go from freezer to table in no time!

Comments

1. Kim says

Do you have the nutritional information? Specifically the carbs for a type 1 dietetic?

2. Pingback: Almond Poppy Seed Muffin Recipe | Gluesticks

3. Oh man, these are so unbelievably tasty! Last week I prepped about 6 different breakfasts that I could freeze, and that would be easy to eat after my daughter arrives in a few weeks. I mayyyyyy have snuck a few of these before they made it to the freezer. I’ve linked your recipe in my blog post 🙂 Thanks for the yummy recipe!

Really great to hear that, Amanda. Thanks for sharing your review.

4. Jenny says

Wow, thank you for providing me with a great breakfast solution.

5. Danna says

Quick, healthy breakfast when on the go! I changed it up a bit, adding baby spinach leaves, a slice of avocado chopped, & a cherry tomato quartered; versatile to accommodate whatever your desire! I chose not to use mustard; instead added a pinch of basil leaf; also cooked @350° 10 min; then 400° 5 min re: veggies & high altitude. It came out perfect! Making up combo’s to freeze for easy campout dishes & at home! Thank you Thriving Home!

Thank you so much for the high altitude adjustments, Danna. Love the idea of your veggie additions!

6. Pingback: February Working Mom Meal Plan | But First, Coffee

7. Michaela says

Hi,
    Some of my turned out but others had spots of egg white bubbled up areas. Do you know what I did wrong? Other then that they turned out fine.

Hmm, sorry to hear that. Was the mixture whisked really well? I’m thinking maybe the eggs were still separated some from the start. Sorry about that. Hopefully they still tasted good.

8. Monica says

Made these Easy Breakfast Casserole Muffins for my family this morning, they are so light flavoursome they were a great hit, definitely will be making them again. Better still so quick to make. 👍

9. Shearon says

I’m trying this recipe now and have run into a couple bumps. After 18 minutes, the eggs are still runny, but I think that may be because 1) the ham was frozen, 2) I’m using a silicone muffin “tin”, and 3) our stove usually takes 3-5 minutes longer than the max in most recipes anyway. Between the extra moisture, the presumably lower oven temperature, and the different bakeware I added an extra 15 minutes. Looking through the window, it seems to be going fine now. I mostly wanted to add a comment that, I have a casserole with similar ingredients that I frequently make in advance, especially when I have guests. You fix it just like you would if you were cooking it right away, but cover it and set it in the fridge over night. In the AM, (if using glassware) pull it out and let the glassware warm a bit so as not to shatter the dish, then bake as usual. This recipe seems like it could also be prepped the same way. A great treat for guests to wake up to and no thumping in the kitchen. 😉

10. Jan says

These were very good and easy. I made them for 12 people Christmas morning. I made three batches several days ahead of time and put in the freezer. Some were with bacon and some with sausage. I also sprinkled some season salt on each individual muffin before baking to give it more favor. On Christmas morning I took them out of the freezer to thaw, about 45 minutes before everyone arrived I put them on a cookie sheet, covered lightly with foil and warmed in a 300 degree oven. They were very tasty.

11. Cathy Clark says

I made 48 for a Christmas luncheon . Can I reheat in low oven?

I think that would be fine as long as it’s pretty low.

12. Jennifer says

So easy!!! We have a pepper garden and my hubby is a pepperhead lol so i took a few fresh tobasco peppers and added them with the egg mix….i used sausage instead of ham, and greased greased and greased again on my muffin tins….came out great and it was sooo easy!!!

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions, especially really greasing the pan well!

13. Sheree says

Just made this and it was delicious! I cut the eggs in half and added country gravy, baked for 25 min. It was a huge hit and I have some very picky eaters!

14. Can you possibly provide the nutrition information for the breakfast muffins – specifically The Breakfast Casserole Muffins -. I am on a special diet and cannot prepare these without knowing the calories, carbs and/or fat contents. Thank you.

I’m sorry but at this time we do not provide nutrition info on our recipes. We would like to someday. In the meantime, feel free to enter the ingredients into a free website like SparkPeople. It will do the work for you. Here is the URL: https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

15. Vanessa says

These are great. Easy and nutritious. I am going to make this a baking activity for a group of seniors who come to our respite centre/ day program room.

16. Carol says

How long do they last in the fridge?

I would say up to 5 days.

17. Pingback: 10 Healthy, Freezer-Friendly Breakfast Ideas for Back To School | Thriving Home

18. Karen says

Made these for a family breakfast get together. They were really good. Thank You!!!

19. Pingback: Weekly Menu Plan + Top 5 "Stock Up and Save" | Thriving Home

20. Pingback: breakfast Muffin recipes - The sweet recipes

21. Pingback: Muffin Recipes Perfect for Breakfast. Be The Morning Superhero!

22. Pingback: 7 easy, freezer toddler recipes to make today and thank yourself later.

23. Rebecca says

We don’t have a microwave. Would it work to heat them up in a toaster oven or would that overcook the egg?

I think that would work fine, Rebecca!

I’ve never tried that, Rebecca, so it’s hard to say. Sorry.

24. Pingback: Cool Recipes For Teens - DIYCraftsGuru

25. Heather says

Is there a way to substitute hash browns for the bread without them getting soggy?

26. Pingback: Weekly Menu Plan + Top 5 “Stock Up & Save” Deals | Thriving Home

27. Tim says

These look great I can not wait to make theses. Rachel Im hoping you can help me with what the calorie count would be for these??

Hey Tim, I’m sorry that I don’t have a calorie count on these. We don’t track calories ourselves but just try to eat a wide variety of real, homemade foods. But, I know there are lots of great apps and tools that can help you figure that out online in no time. Check out SparkRecipes for one of those. Have a good day!

28. Melanie says

Just found your site. Will let you know when I try them. They sound great. Easy and quick. Just what I need for my energy limits.

29. Becky says

Wow! Just what I was looking for! I had some slightly stale hamburger buns that I wasn’t sure what to do with, so I used them in this recipe and it came out great! Made 6 with cheddar and 6 with Swiss and ate one of each. Hard to tell which was my favorite. I also didn’t have deli sliced ham but grabbed a bag of 1 cup cooked/chopped ham out of the freezer and divided it equally and it worked great too. Thanks for such a yummy and versatile recipe. Now I gotta go freeze the rest before they all get eaten!

The best! So happy it worked for your family, Becky.

30. Janice Walker says

How long do you cook these if using a mini muffin pan? I am making them for our teacher’s school breakfast on Monday and am focusing on everything being mini since we’ve eaten too much over the holidays.

I would guess about 8 minutes, but I haven’t made them that small before so check early and often. 😉

31. Julie says

I just tried this recipe. It’s awesome. Mine came out a bit watery. Any advice?

32. Pingback: Cool Recipes For Teens To Make At Home - DIY Projects for Teens

33. casentbon says

Hello,
    I’m going to do your recipe for tomorrow.
    If you want and when you have time you can come “in my ktichen” to see it 🙂
    have a good day :-d
    sylvie – casentbon.com

34. casentbon says

what’s a good idear 🙂
    I’m going to try it
    have a good day 🙂

35. AprilDawn says

I’d love to do this, but my eldest can’t have starch so no potatoes, bread, quinoa or anything like that. Would they hold together with just the egg cheese and ham?

I have a recipe for you! Check out the Baked Egg Cups in our recipe index. They are simply ham, egg, and cheese. You can scramble the egg in that recipe if your child doesn’t like a hard boiled egg, fyi.

36. Kaitlyn says

My (near) two year old LOVED these! So far he seems to be taking after me, and not being much of a breakfast person; but he devoured two of these in minutes! I adore how simple and quick these are to throw together; and the options I have within the mix is wonderful for a family who doesn’t like all the same things.

The only thing I would maybe mention is how much egg mixture to pour in to each tin. I wasn’t sure so I poured about a third of the way up. They came out wonderful, and looking like muffins. Id assume not that much is needed, but also not too much of an issue, but given the time to bake, maybe saying your mixture amount preference could be helpful in the future.

Thank you for posting this. Its going in my breakfast book right now!

Thanks for your feedback and specification on how much egg mixture to pour. I’m glad these were a hit! We’ll have a variation of this kind of recipe in our cookbook when it comes out, too. Thanks for visiting our site and let us know if you have any questions.

37. Cassie says

Just made these with my boyfriend they came out wonderful thanks for the recipe!!

Great! Thanks for the feedback!

38. TG Cain says

Just in case anyone was wondering, i threw the ingredients into my fitness pal… it looks like they are approximately 100 calories each with about 8 grams of protein

Thanks for doing this!

39. Sandi says

How do you re heat the frozen Breakfast Casserole Muffins please

The best way I’ve found is to wrap them individually in a moist paper towel and microwave in 30-45 second incredments until warmed through.

40. Pingback: The Best Make-Ahead Freezer Food Recipes

41. Pingback: Brunch – Egg Muffins and Hash Browns – Cooking for my Therapy

42. Megan says

Do you have any idea what the calorie count would be per casserole on this?

I’m sorry I don’t know offhand. We hope to start offering nutrition counts sometime in the future, though. Baby blogging steps. 🙂

• Nadia says

late to the party here, but if you have a (free) account with my fitness pal, you can very easily enter and analyze calories and macros for any recipe. that’s what i use!

meanwhile, thanks for the tips, rachel! i am a long-time lover of breakfast casseroles, and i have always wondered if the baked egg would freeze okay!

43. Pingback: Customizable Breakfast Cups! | amanda claire maurer

44. Pingback: Spice Up Your Lunchbox! | My Life as Mrs. G

45. Karla mikkelsen says

I am interested in updates to freezer meals and meal groups.

The best way to keep up with us is to subscribe to our email. You can do that a the top right corner of our website. Hope to see you around!

46. Pingback: 10 Simple Breakfast Recipes Teens Will Want to Make

47. Kelly says

love this idea! I was pinning this morning and realized it was time for breakfast so I search and found your recipe! I had everything in my fridge and made it ASAP. Loved it and I’m glad I can freeze them to eat tomorrow. Thanks! 🙂

So glad you found us!

48. Amy says

Wait, never mind! Just saw the last comment. Thanks!

49. Amy says

Hey! Found this great recipe on Pinterest and was wondering if these muffins can be stored at room temperature for about 4-5 days? We are going on vacation and our hotel room doesn’t have a refrigerator (Crazy, right?!). I was looking for a muffin recipe that is healthy and doesn’t have to be stored in the fridge. Thanks!

50. Heather says

ic you make these ahead for the week, do they need to be stored in the fridge or can they be covered sitting out in the counter?

In the fridge or freezer because of the ham or bacon.

51. Arui says

Will it come out just as good if i skip the ground mustard?

Oh for sure! Can’t mess these up.

52. Pingback: 41 Delicious Breakfast Casseroles You’ll Want to Wake Up To | The Super Mommy Club – Curated

53. Pingback: Make Ahead Breakfast Casseroles for a Crowd

54. Pingback: 10 Grab-and-Go Breakfast Ideas • Foodie Fitness

55. Ann says

I made these for breakfast this morning and my family loved them. I made half with bread and half with Potatoes O’Brien and also added spinach instead of the parsley. I will definitely add these to my regular breakfast meals. They were super easy as well. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Great idea to add spinach! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment and share you idea.

56. Just made these but how do you get them out of the muffing tin without distorting them.

Oh my. So sorry! It takes lots of nonstick spray inside the muffin tin initially. But afterwards, run a knife around the edges first and carefully life them out with the knife or a fork. I will make that note on the recipe. Sorry you’re have a tough time! Depending on the pan you use, they can do that.

• Jennifer says

I used silicone baking cups and they popped right out! I definitely recommend using them. FYI-I did spray the cups too.

57. Annete says

I have a gluten free and a health nut so will try the quinoa and the egg whites. Have you ever tried to make them up the night before and store in fridge? I want to do this for Easter and just pop them in after church!

Yes, they will be even better if you let them sit overnight. Great idea to make them before Easter!

58. Pingback: Sweet & Savory Breakfast Muffins From Top Foodies - Muffin Paradise

59. Merry says

I want to try these, but need to rethink the cheese as hubby’s triglycerides were over 300. I like the idea of quinoa too.

60. Thank you so much for the recipe! I’d seen a similar one on FB but it wasn’t linked back to instructions. I think I’ll make this tonight so that my husband and I will have it tomorrow. Note: Our little one will not venture near anything with eggs in it. Her loss, right? One day when she’s in college, she’ll be calling home and say, “Mom! I miss your cooking!” I just know it!

61. Erika says

thanks for the great recipe idea! I think we’ll try with frozen hashbrown mixture on the bottom rather than bread chunks. And adding some green chili with the ham & cheese. 🙂

I’ve tried with hashbrowns before and it does work! The added veggies sound yummy to me (but, too bad, not to the littles). 🙂

62. Emily says

I made these today for my daughter’s 2nd birthday party tomorrow. They taste great, but they stuck really badly to the muffin tins. I figured that if I used muffin cups, they would just stick to those too. Any suggestions for getting to not stick? I liberally sprayed them with my misto/olive oil spray, and they still stuck. I got a good work out this morning grating the cheese and then prying them out of the muffin tins so that they would still look decent. Thanks.

Sorry it was so much work for you! I hate it when the happens. I would try a different kind of pan, like a stoneware muffin tin. I’ve found some pans stick more easily than others. And, yes, grease it, grease it, grease it. Other idea is to make this one large egg casserole and line the casserole dish with parchment paper. Hope that helps!

63. Joanne says

I am enjoying reading your blog and your suggestions for the busy mom. Now a retired mom of three awesome young adults, I look forward to the best phase of life: grandchildren! I have shared your site with my sweet niece who has two daughters, 26 and 2 mos.
    As a young working mom, I survived on our frozen “plops”(cupcake-pan frozen stuff) –at first we didn’t even have a microwave (can you say, “back in ’08 before the big freeze?”) A friend brought me a Baggie-ful of frozen fruit salad plops and (frozen) hot tuna salad/crescent roll sandwiches. Perfect for one handed eating while nursing! I look back and marvel that we were able to get the job done!
    Love your spiritual bent on life and advice to the young moms out there. God bless you and yours, and all your readers!

What a sweet comment! I love this. Thanks for sharing about your frozen meal memories…moms of all generations have surely been doing something akin to this, right? Thanks for reading/sharing our blog and taking the time to comment!

64. Bianca says

I made these this morning and they were so GREAT! I used homemade turkey breakfast sausage instead of ham, and my entire family of 6 Loved them! Thanks for sharing the recipe 🙂

Yum! Thanks for sharing. We’re always thrilled to hear of recipe successes!

65. Sarah says

Mine did not come out of pan intact. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hmm, you mean they stuck to the sides or literally just fell apart? If sticking, then more oil/grease in the muffin pan. If falling apart, then you didn’t have enough binder (egg) for the amount of bread and other filling. Add more eggs or use less fillers next time. I hope that helps! I hate it when I do all that work and a recipe doesn’t work, so sorry. I’ll try to retest it later this week and make sure we have the amounts correct (but I do know Polly and I have both made these and they worked fine in the past).

66. Nikki says

Oooh! I always made these with only egg, meat & veggies! Now I’m definitely going to have to either add in the bread crumbs or add in the flour/cornmeal from the Savory Breakfast Muffins recipe! All last winter a friend and I would have ‘cooking days’ since I had already been in the mindset of making 4 of a recipe when I cooked. My motto was, if I’m making a mess already, make a lot of the thing and have frozen meals ready to go! So, we had wine and chatted while we cooked it up, cannot wait to add many, MANY of these recipes to our monthly cooking days!!!

Can we be friends? That sounds SO fun! 🙂

67. Kiley says

Love these! I make mine with quinoa instead of bread for a little extra protein, and do a half-and-half mixture of whole eggs and egg whites. 🙂

Ooo, love the idea of incorporating quinoa. Thanks!

• Isra says

How did you add quinoa in this recipe? Was it cooked prior to baking and if yes then how did you cook quinoa?

68. Lynne says

Great idea! I’m going to try these with chopped pre-cooked broccoli and a smidge of bacon. Thanks for the idea!

69. Annie says

Going to make these tonight, thanks to Pinterest! I don’t eat ham, but have turkey meat in the fridge. I also have some tomatoes that need to be used… will probably throw those in as well!

Hope they turn out well!

70. laura says

These look wonderful, I can’t wait to try them! Do you think it would work using paper muffin liners, or would that be a papery mess?

I think they would work. Maybe you could spray the paper liners with a little cooking spray just to make sure they peel off easily.

71. Xia says

Right at this very moment my mini casseroles are in the oven, I’m very excited! Trying to get into cooking aswell as baking and these are a great starter:)

Xia, way to go! You’re going to save so much money and eat healthier because of it (at least that’s what happened for me, when I started cooking at home). Thanks for leaving a comment. I hope the muffins turned out well.

72. Stephanie says

Can these be made ahead of time?

Absolutely. Just bake, cool, and toss in a freezer bag. To warm up, just wrap in a most paper towel and microwave in 30 second increments until warmed through.

73. KayleneP says

Was looking for breakfast recipes on Pinterest and came accross these muffins. They look great, can’t wait to give them a try!

74. Pingback: 101 Easy Recipes - Back to School is here! - Blessed Beyond A Doubt

75. Carla says

Thanks for posting this Rach. I never thought about it. But Kev LOVES breakfast casserole. So, I made these over the weekend. They just seem easier to manage than a big casserole cut up for him. We froze some too and they were great!!

76. The Lammys says

Okay…I can't WAIT to hear how these turned out frozen…

• JennyK says

Can you premake these and store in the fridge and bake in the morning?

Definitely! In fact, they may even turn out better by doing this.