Disclaimer: This recipe was created in partnership with Frigidaire. But, the opinions are all ours!
I have this new small goal of having at least one day a week be meatless. This is for three reasons: it’s cheap, it’s often healthier, and it’s better for the environment (raising animals utilizes much more of our natural resources than raising crops).
Tonight’s EASY one pot wonder was what I’m dubbing “Anything Goes Tortilla Soup”. This meal takes about 10 minutes to make, feeds a crowd, and is full of flavor. Don’t forget to make extra and freeze some for later (freezer meal instructions below).
This recipe is a “dash of this/dash of that” or “I had this on hand” kind of one. Feel free to adapt as you like. The important thing for me, since there are quite a few convenience foods included, is to select canned items with as few ingredients as possible. Read labels and look for canned foods or mixes that don’t contain trans fats, MSG, GMOs, or other ingredients you can’t pronounce. When it doubt, look for organic versions.
This one-pot wonder is packed with flavor, but is also vegetarian! This winning combination of ingredients and flavors is sure to impress your family and friends.
- 1, 32 ounce box chicken or vegetable stock
- 1, 15 ounce can refried beans
- 1, 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1, 15 ounce can petite diced tomatoes (juice and all)
- 1, 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1, 15 ounce can of corn, drained
- 1 cup cooked instant brown rice
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons all-natural taco seasoning mix (either make your own or use a store-bought packet)
- Optional Toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, jalapenos, sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, crushed tortilla chips
- Cook the brown rice according to directions on the box.
- In a large stock pot, combine all ingredients (except optional toppings) and let simmer over medium-low heat for at least 15 minutes (but longer is fine).
- Serve warm with preferred optional toppings.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
Place all ingredients in slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or HIGH for 2-3 hours.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Combine the broth and refried beans in a large pot. Whisk until smooth. Then, add in all other ingredients and stir. Carefully ladle the soup into freezer bags or containers and seal BEFORE cooking. (Hint: It helps to have one person hold the bag and another ladle the soup. Make sure the bags seal completely.) Freeze until ready to use. Or, another option is to cook the soup fully, cool it and freeze for later.
Thaw in the refrigerator or using the defrost setting on the microwave. Cook on stove-top according to directions. (Note: If soup is fully cooked, then warm gently over low heat on stovetop or in crockpot.)