With food prices skyrocketing in the past few years, I’ve had to think of cheap creative ways to continue to make healthy, mostly organic, real food for my family. It’s not easy. Dried beans are a tremendous help, though! Last week, I accidentally cooked WAY too many dried beans. I had 1 pound of black beans and 1 pound of kidney beans, which amounts to about $3 of beans. Little did I realize, those 2 pounds of dried beans resulted in about 10 cups of cooked beans. Yikes! So, as not to waste, here’s what I ended up making over the course of several days, including a new, simple Taco Salad Recipe. My freezer is stocked now!
THREE 8×8 pans of Cheesy Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas.
ONE HUGE pot of Vegetarian Tortilla Soup.
EIGHT Make Ahead Lunch Wraps.
I put them in the freezer and will bake them in foil at 350 degrees for 25 minutes for lunches or quick dinners.
THREE Taco Salads.
I made Taco Salad for our family and two other Taco Salad packs to exchange with my freezer club friends (as a fresh meal). See the simple Taco Salad Recipe below.
More Bean Ideas
Our Facebook friends had lots of suggestions, too. Check out their ideas for how to use up 2 pounds of beans. Just wish I could get more of their actual recipes (hint, hint).
– Make homemade Chipotle – Southwest burgers – Black bean soup – Red beans and rice with some andouille sausage – Chili – homemade baked beans (Passionate Homemaking has a good recipe) – Mexican quinoa salad – Breakfast burritos – Refried beans and then make a layered dip with them – Taco casserole – Black Bean Salsa – Black bean lasagna – Black bean brownies!
Your turn…What’s your favorite bean dish?
- 1 pound ground beef (preferably grass-fed, organic)
- 1 packet of McCormick's Taco Seasoning (I like this brand, since it only has a few ingredients.)
- 1 cup black beans or kidney beans (I often use a mix of both)
- 1 cup ranch dressing (I use Brianna's)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 large head Organic Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- ½ can black olives, drained and chopped (optional)
- 1 avocado, chopped (optional)
- Brown beef. Drain and add seasoning packet and beans. Cook according to directions.
- Mix ranch dressing and salsa.
- Top lettuce with meat/bean mixture, cheese, crushed chips, tomatoes, olives, avocado, and dressing. Toss.