This Veggie Sandwich on Whole Grain Bagel rivals for first place in my heart when it comes to favorite lunch meals. The other contestants are the Protein Lunch Bowl, Creamy Avocado Dip with carrots and tortilla chips, and the Small Bites Board, if you’re wondering.
When you stay at home with kids and/or work from home, like I do most days, I long for anything but another PB&J or leftovers. And, if you work away from home, I’d wager this beats out most deli sandwiches you could get at a restaurant. The Veggie Sandwich on Whole Grain Bagel fits the bill as an easy, filling, yet healthy lunch.
The first secret to this sandwich in my opinion is a really good bagel. If you have a Panera Bread near you (or a local bakery with whole grain bagels), stock up when their sprouted whole grain bagels or whole wheat bagels are on sale. At our Panera, you can get a baker’s dozen for half price on Tuesdays. So, I buy a bunch then and freeze them in freezer bags. They last for weeks this way. (ht: My friend, Erin A., for this idea!)
Then, simply pile on your favorite veggies (I love spinach, tomatoes, and avocado…but be creative), your favorite cream cheese, and some hummus and you’ve got yourself a delightful sandwich that’s full of texture and flavor.
P.S. You won’t miss the meat!
Here’s how I make my Veggie Sandwich on Whole Grain Bagel…
- 1 whole grain bagel, sliced lengthwise (preferably from a bakery)
- 2 tablespoons plain cream cheese (or your favorite kind)
- 5-6 baby spinach leaves
- 2 thick slices of tomato
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 2 tablespoons hummus ([here's/https://thrivinghomeblog.com/2012/08/simple-blender-hummus-other-real-food-snacks-kitchen-stewardship/] how to make your own)
- Starting on the bottom portion of the bagel, spread cream cheese.
- Top with baby spinach. Add tomato slices and then avocado. Spread hummus on inside of the top of the bagel.
- Put the sandwich together and enjoy!