I’ve learned my lesson too many times as a mom. Maybe you’ve experienced one of these same scenarios.There’s that one more errand you’ve got to run but the kids slowly begin melting down.
And the traffic-laden car trip that drags on and on while the din from the back seat gets louder and whinier.
Oh, and don’t forget the trip to the park with friends that starts off happily but ends with multiple people crying.
The common denominator in these situations? Well, I confess it was usually because I committed one of the foremost mom sins: I FORGOT A SNACK. Seriously.
It’s true that indiscriminate snacking can inhibit children from eating healthy meals, but well-planned out, healthy snacks are actually an important part of kids’ diets. Just like you and me, when their blood sugar gets low, little ones feel lethargic and crabby. I’ve learned that the key is always having a few healthy snack options at hand–maybe most importantly when I’m on the go.
But, it’s not always as simple as it seems to find healthy on-the-go snacks. A trip down the “kid snack” aisle at the grocery store reduces our choices almost exclusively to crackers, gummies, cookies, and other similar items that are full of preservatives, dyes, strange additives, and loads of sugar. These highly processed snacks add almost no nutritional value to a child’s diet, and may in fact make them feel worse when they experience a blood sugar crash soon after.
10 Healthy Snacks for Kids
The truth is there are very few, if any, snacks that I buy in these aisles. Instead, I usually turn to healthy grab-and-go snacks like these:
- Homemade Popcorn (Hint: Make a big batch and store in airtight container. It lasts for 2-3 days when sealed.)
- Whole wheat pretzels (Hint: Look in the health food section for ones that are high in fiber and have no preservatives or additives.)
- Trail mix (raisins, dark chocolate chips, nuts)
- Cheese sticks
- Multigrain crackers (Hint: Look in the health food section for ones that are high in fiber and have no preservatives or additives.)
- Frozen peas (I used to love these as a kid and mine do now!)
- GoGo squeeZes (One of the few snacks I feel ok about purchasing from the normal snack aisles. Polly’s and my kids love them!)
Why GoGo squeeZ Makes My Snack List
What is that Polly and I like about GoGo squeeZ?
- Made of 100% fruit or 100% fruit and vegetables.
- Nothing artificial in them. We’re talking all real ingredients. Woo hoo!
- A good gluten, nut and dairy free option for our friends’ children who have allergies.
- The portable, re-sealable pouch safely (i.e. cleanly!) travels wherever we go.
- So many awesome flavors that our kids love. I mean look at this long list of options GoGo squeeZ offers:
Gimme Five (blend of Apple, Banana, Mango, Strawberry and Peach)
Fruit and VeggieZ:
Great’Full Grape (Apple Sweet Potato Grape Flavor)
Pedal Pedal Punch (Apple Peach Sweet Potato Flavor)
Zippin’ Zingin’ Pear (Apple Pear Carrot Flavor)
Boulder Berry (Apple Carrot Mixed Berries Flavor)
Win a $100 Visa Gift Card:
Know what else I like about GoGo squeeZ? The fact that they are giving away a $100 Visa gift card to one of our readers! And, all you have to do to enter is leave a comment answering this question:
What flavor of GoGo squeeZ do you want to try for your family?
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
1. Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
2. Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “”#gogogiveaway” and #SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
3. Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
4. For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 72 hours to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 2/2/2015 – 3/31/2015.