I could have really used this recipe the other day when we put drumsticks on the grill and realized we were out of BBQ sauce. Luckily one of our neighbors had about 1/2 cup left that they graciously let us finish off. BUT, growing up in a food-industrialized world (is that even a term?), I have been shaped to think I need to go to the store to buy a condiment rather than make it on my own.
Would I have been thinking clearly, I would have whipped up this Homemade BBQ Sauce and not have had to mooch of my neighbors!
Anyway, this sauce is the bomb. It’s a combination of sweet-smokey-tangy flavors that are brought out even better on the grill.
Simply dump all the ingredients in a mixing bowl (or measuring cup like I did).
Stir stir stir. Probably should have used a mixing bowl and whisk at this point. #hindsight
Next, bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat. Then let it simmer on the stove for about 20 minutes over medium-low heat until it thickens.
Ah, done. Drop it in a mason jar, refrigerate it or freeze it and you are good to go! No more bugging your neighbors. Oh wait, am I the only one who does that?Print
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup all-natural ketchup
- 3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- In a small mixing bowl, place all ingredients together. Stir with a whisk until well combined.
- In a medium sauce pan, bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat. Let it simmer on the stove for about 20 minutes until it thickens.