When I made this chicken spaghetti recipe for the first time last week, my husband ate it for about 5 meals in a row and proceeded to ask me to make it again the next week.
My kids eagerly scarfed it down as well. Tonight’s batch ended up on about every area of exposed skin on my 18 month old, but I take that as a sign he liked it.
Needless to say, this recipe is a keeper!
Be warned, this recipe makes a TON of chicken spaghetti. You can either make a big ol’ batch in a 9×13 or split it between two 8×8 dishes and freeze one for later.
Ready to get started?
A few things to clarify/add…
You can chop veggies by hand but I chose to throw them into the food processor. I like this approach because you can sneak in some more veggies without a huge change in texture. Oh, I threw some parsley in for good measure. It was a fine choice, I might add. Spinach would also work.
Chop chop chop.
Here it is all mixed up. Yum. Or yuck. Not sure.
Topped with cheese and ready to pop in the oven! OR you could cover this with foil and freeze it for a future meal. I did both.
Done and done.Print
- 2–3 chicken breasts, fully cooked and chopped
- 1 pound whole wheat linguini broken into 2-inch pieces
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar
- 1/2 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Two 10 and 3/4-ounce cans cream of organic mushroom soup
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook the spaghetti until al dente (slightly undercooked). When the spaghetti is cooked, drain it and combine with the chicken, 1 1/2 cups of the cheese, the green peppers, red peppers, seasoned salt, cayenne, soup and onions. Sprinkle it all with salt and pepper.
- Stir in 1 cup of chicken broth.
- Place the mixture in a 9- by 13-inch casserole pan OR 2 8×8 cooking pans and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake immediately until bubbly, about 35-45 minutes. (If the cheese on top starts to get too dark, cover with foil.)
Freezer Meal Directions:
Put recipe together as stated in the directions, but freeze before cooking. Place in a freezer safe container for up to 2 months.
When you’re ready to cook it, let it thaw in the fridge over night. If it’s still slightly frozen in the middle, you’ll just have to cook it longer than the recipe calls for or defrost a bit in the microwave before baking. Cover it with foil if the top gets too brown in the oven.