Lesson learned from making Whole Grain Zucchini Pancakes: Double the recipe next time.
I made these for lunch last week to use up some zucchini I had from a neighbor. And, my kids ate these faster than I could get them off the griddle. With a little real butter and real maple syrup, the zucchini slid down their pie holes while they begged for more. Cha-ching–another sneaky way to add more veggies to their diet.
Cooking Note: To shred a zucchini, wash it well first. Cut off the stem parts at both ends. Then, either use a box grater to shred or cut your zucchini in to a few chunks and throw them in the food processor. I actually used my Vitamix blender and added some water before blending. Then, I drained the water off and had perfectly processed zucchini.
Freezer Tips: You can freeze shredded zucchini until you’re ready to use it. When ready to cook with frozen zucchini, thaw out and wring out some of the moisture using a clean kitchen towel before baking with it.
Another freezer tip is that you can freeze pancakes. I do it all the time with ones like Whole Whole Pumpkin Pancakes or Sweet Potato Pancakes. After you cook them, let them cool and place in an airtight freezer bag in the freezer. When ready to eat, toast in the toaster from frozen. Then, microwave your pancakes for a few seconds if they didn’t get warmed all the way through in the toaster.Print
These whole grain pancakes are full of nutrition and flavor! Use up some garden fresh zucchini and your family will gobble these up!
- 1 1/2 cups whole grain pancake mix (like Arrowhead Mills Multigrain)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup finely shredded zucchini
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons oil (I used coconut oil)
- Heat a pan over medium-low heat. Grease with cooking spray (I used coconut oil).
- Stir together all ingredients in a medium to large-sized bowl just until combined and lumps disappear.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup batter per pancake. Cook on one side until bubbles begin to form around the edges (about 2 minutes). Flip and cook on the other side for about a minute or two more, until cooked through.
- Serve with real butter and real maple syrup.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Cook pancakes according to recipe instructions. Place pancakes on cooking sheet in a single layer to freeze them. When solid, you can transfer to pancakes to a freezer safe bag or container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Pull out as many pancakes as you need. Thaw in refrigerator overnight or warm in microwave for a brief time.