https://thrivinghomeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/thrivinglogo.png 0 0 Rachel Tiemeyer https://thrivinghomeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/thrivinglogo.png Rachel Tiemeyer2011-12-09 02:49:372020-01-03 16:23:45How to Make Your Own Window Cornice
I really like the simple look of window cornices. They are clean, fresh, and from what I discovered, easy to make!
I was also pleasantly surprised at how cheap the supplies for this turned out to be. AND it doesn’t involve any sewing. Do I have your attention??
Here’s how my DIY window cornices turned out for my little gal’s nursery:
Want to make your own? Keep reading!
I had this left over insulation board from a few months back when I insulated our crawlspace holes. I think one board is around $10 at Lowes. One piece is more than enough for two windows. (The piece below has already been cut in half).
I measured around my window and then drew out my measurements on the board I was going to cut.
My window width was 42 inches. I added 1.5 inches to each side make the cornice wider than the window. Here’s how all my measurements turned out:
1 piece 13×45 inches
1 piece 2×45 inches
2 pieces 2×13 inches
I started by hot-gluing the pieces together. I then realized that duct tape was a much faster and just as efficient.
Here’s a shot of the cornice all duct taped together.
I laid out some batting over the cornice. (You can find batting for pretty cheap at almost any fabric store). I didn’t do any exact measurements for this part- I simply estimated it and cut the batting to where there was enough extra to wrap around to the back of the piece.
I did the same thing with the fabric. With the batting underneath the fabric, I got my staplegun out and went to work. Make sure to pull the fabric firm-not too tight. Then staple all around the edges to secure the batting and the fabric. I started with the top and bottom and left the sides for last.
I discovered that the fabric wrapped around the ends better if I cut an opening for the sides.
I just wrapped the ends like a present and stapled them in place.
To hang these bad boys, I picked up a packet of “L brackets” and secured one to each side of the window.
I then slipped my upholstered cornice on. Viola!
Sure beats buying expensive nursery curtains!