Guest post by Cassandra Cyr from Glue Meets Paper.
Hi everyone! First of all–a huge thank you to Rachel and Polly for allowing me to guest post for Thriving Home (one of my personal favorites!). My name is Cassandra Cyr. I’m here today to share a sample recipe from my new book, Make Ahead Meals: Freezer Meal Recipes that Make Dinner Quick and Easy. I’ve gotten such a great response sharing my favorite Make Ahead Meal recipes on my blog that I decided it was time to write a book. I’ve been busy recipe testing, photographing, and writing for the last year and the book is now available for purchase!
Make Ahead Meals: Freezer Recipes that Make Dinner Quick and Easy is both a step by step guide to getting started with freezer meals and a cookbook. The book contains over 50 recipes plus printables for inventory tracking, labels, and grocery lists. All of the recipes use whole foods and each recipe lists the calorie content per serving (most are less than 500 calories per serving). This book will show you the best way to make and cook healthy and cost-efficient freezer meals from start to finish! For more information please CLICK HERE; the book can be purchased either as an e-Book or hard copy.
The recipe I am sharing today is Stuffed Peppers with Quinoa and is a definite crowd-pleaser. A mixture of ground beef, pork, and veal is combined with sauteed vegetables, mushrooms, sherry, and quinoa before being stuffed into bright red bell peppers. These peppers are crazy flavorful but only around 400 calories each! To access a printable PDF file of this recipe please follow this link. The PDF is a direct excerpt from the book, so this will give you an idea of the format and style of the book as well.
Editorial note from Rachel: If you’re new to Freezer Meal Cooking (aka Make Ahead Meals), read this post that will break it down for you and give you 60+ Healthy Freezer Meal ideas. Then, find out how to start your own Freezer Club where you can swap meals with others here.
A mixture of ground beef, pork, and veal is combined with sauteed vegetables, mushrooms, sherry, and quinoa before being stuffed into bright red bell peppers. A definite crowd-pleaser!
- 16 bell peppers
- 3 lbs of meatloaf mix (Note: This is an equal mixture of beef, pork, and veal you can buy pre-ground in the meat aisle. If your grocery store does not carry it you may substitute with 85% lean ground beef.)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 onions, diced
- 2 cups of carrots, small dice
- 2 cups of zucchini, small dice
- 16oz mushrooms, sliced
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 2 cups dry sherry
- 4 cups of cooked quinoa (cooked per package instructions)
- 1 cup of fresh
- parsley, minced
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup
- Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ cups of Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Cut off the tops of the peppers and hollow out the insides. Boil each pepper for 1 minute in salted water, quickly submerge in an ice bath, and lay upside down on paper towels to drain.
- Melt the butter in a sauté pan over medium heat and add the onions, carrots, and zucchini. Cook for 5-7 minutes until onions are translucent and the vegetables start to soften. Add the mushrooms and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and oregano and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the tomato paste and sherry, raise heat to medium-high, and cook until slightly reduced, stirring frequently- about 3 minutes. Turn off the heat, mix in the quinoa and parsley, and let cool.
- Once cooled, combine the vegetable and quinoa mixture with the eggs, Worcestershire sauce, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and meatloaf mix. Stuff approximately one heaping cup of this mixture into each bell pepper. Wrap each bell pepper tightly in saran wrap and store 4 in each freezer bag.
- Day of Meal Preparation: (for one meal/four peppers only) You’ll need 32 oz jar (or 3 cups) marinara sauce and a ½ cup Parmesan cheese.
- Serving Instructions: Thaw peppers overnight in the refrigerator. Transfer the peppers to a baking dish and cover with tomato sauce. Cook at 350 F for 50-60 minutes until the meat is no longer pink and registers 160 degrees Farenheit on a digital thermometer. During the last 5 minutes of baking sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the tops of the peppers.
- Serving Size: 4 servings per meal
- Calories: Calories per serving: 493
To purchase a PDF file of the e-Book Make Ahead Meals (for $7.99) directly from Cassie, please click the PayPal button below.
To Purchase a Full Color, Hard Copy of this Book (for $21.99) please click on the Amazon link HERE.
About the Author
Cassandra Cyr lives in CT with her husband, 3 year old son, and 2 pugs. She works full time as an Immunochemist but is passionate about cooking and papercrafting in her limited free time. You can find out more about her and Make Ahead Meals on her blog, Glue Meets Paper.