These healthy, whole wheat banana chocolate chip muffins are YUMMO. Seriously. Don’t let the whole wheat factor make you think they are going to be compromised. The mini chocolate chips will take care of your taste buds while the other parts of your body will be thanking you for the healthy ingredients. Ages 1-31 in my family liked them and I think yours will too.
Don’t forget to double the batch and freeze some for future mornings! I have found that these banana chocolate chip muffins make a great on-the-go snack. My kids even had them for dinner the other night when we were out at the pool and needed something quick and on-the-go!
Do yourself a favor and pin this recipe!
Here are some other muffin recipes in our index if you’re interested!
These muffins will become a new staple in your house. They have a delicate combination of healthy ingredients with just a touch of sweetness from the chocolate chips.
- 1.5 cups whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 very ripe bananas, peeled (the riper they are, the sweeter they’ll be)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips OR dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional) Why eat walnuts?
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper or silicone liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Make a well (hole) in the center of the flour mixture and drop in the eggs, butter, and syrup. As best you can, mix with a fork until it just comes together. Set aside.
- In a small bowl mash the two bananas together.
- Carefully fold the bananas and walnuts (if using) into the muffin batter and distribute evenly into the 12 muffin cups (or 36 mini muffin cups).
- Bake until they begin to brown on top and a toothpick comes clean when inserted in the center, about 20 to 22 minutes for regular sized muffins or 12 to 14 minutes for mini muffins.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Bake muffins as stated in directions. Let cool completely. Once cooled, put muffins in a freezer safe bag or container. Store in freezer for up to 3 months.
Remove desired amount of muffins from the freezer and warm slightly in the microwave before serving.