This creamy, comforting Hash Brown Casserole is made from scratch, requires no canned cream soup, and is gluten-free. Perfect side for a holiday table!
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley, crushed in hand
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt (only use 1 teaspoon if including bacon)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (30 ounce) bag of shredded hash browns, thawed
- 1(16 ounce) container sour cream (recommend: full-fat Daisy brand)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Colby Jack cheese (or your favorite shredded cheese)
- 1 pound your favorite Burgers’ Smokehouse Bacon*, cooked and chopped finely (find at Hy-Vee and other local grocery stores)
*All of Burgers’ bacon is gluten-free, but you’ll see it clearly labeled on the Burgers’ Uncured Country Bacon.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 9×13 casserole dish with butter or cooking spray.
- In a glass measuring cup, whisk together the chicken broth, half and half, cornstarch, parsley, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. When the butter is melted, add the onions and saute until translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic at the end for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Whisk in the creamy cornstarch mixture to the onions. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until thick and creamy, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the remaining 4 tablespoons butter, and let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the thawed hash browns, cooled cream sauce, sour cream, cheese, and bacon. Place in the casserole dish, smoothing it out evenly. (Note: At this point, you can cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.)
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until edges are bubbly and top is golden.