Finally, a slow cooker recipe that is SUPER easy to make yet packed with flavor. The creamy goodness of this sausage tortellini soup is a win with all ages and makes for great lunch leftovers.
- 1 pound ground Italian pork sausage (sub: turkey or chicken sausage)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Italian style diced tomatoes, juices and all
- 1 (32 ounce) carton of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) block of cream cheese, cut into cubes (do not use low fat)
- 2 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 (19 oz.) bag frozen cheese tortellini
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage over medium high heat until there is no more pink showing. Drain any excess grease.
- Add the sausage, tomatoes, chicken broth and cream cheese into a standard sized slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cook on LOW for 4 hours, stirring one or two times to help the cream cheese dissolve.
- Then, stir in the spinach and frozen tortellini and cook for about 45 more minutes, until warmed through.
Gluten-free option: Cook your favorite gluten-free pasta and stir it in at the very end. (Do not cook it at all in the slow cooker.)