This Instant Pot Vegetable Soup is filled to the brim with hearty vegetables, black beans, and barley. It provides the nutrition you need this winter to boost your immune system and fight off sickness plus amazing taste that will make you want to lick the bowl clean.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3–4 celery ribs, sliced
- 3–4 medium carrots, sliced
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 quart (32 ounces) all-natural vegetable broth (sub: chicken broth)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup pearl barley (sub: 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed)
- 1–2 bay leaves
- 1 (2-3 inch) Parmesan rind*
- 2–3 cups chopped kale, packed (sub: chopped baby spinach)
- Optional Toppings: grated Parmesan cheese*, fresh chopped parsley
*omit if making a Dairy-Free version
- Turn on the Sauté function and heat the oil. Sauté the onions, celery, and carrots, stirring frequently, until the vegetables softened, about 5-7 minutes. Season with kosher salt and black pepper, to taste, as they cook. Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes the last 30-60 seconds.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, beans, barley, bay, and Parm rind, and stir to combine.(Option 1 freezing instructions begin here.)
- Lock and seal the lid. Cook for 7 minutes at high pressure and use a quick release when done. Remove the bay leaves and Parm rind (or leave the rind to add more flavor as it sits, if you want).
- Stir in the kale and let it sit for about 3-5 minutes, until softened. Taste and adjust salt and pepper amounts, to taste.
- Serve warm in individual bowls, and top with Parmesan cheese and parsley as desired.
Freeze For Later: Follow Steps 1-2. Transfer the uncooked soup to a gallon-sized freezer bag or round container. Seal and freeze. Tip: Place freezer bag in a bowl until frozen to freeze in the shape of the Instant Pot.
Prepare From Frozen: Turn on the Sauté function. Sauté the frozen soup for 5 minutes to release some liquid. Press Cancel. Lock and seal the lid. Cook for 12-15 minutes at high pressure and use a quick release. Follow Steps 4-5.
Fully Cook and Freeze Instructions: You can also fully cook this soup, freeze in small portions for individual meals, and rewarm in the microwave or stovetop. Or you can fully cook it, freeze the whole recipe in a round container or freezer bag, and then rewarm in the Instant Pot from frozen by sautéing for 5 minutes and then cooking at high pressure for 5 minutes with a quick release. Tip: Place the freezer bag in a round container in the freezer until it freezes in the shape of the Instant Pot.