Want a super nutritious, flavorful recipe that can feed a crowd, won’t break the bank, or doesn’t take much time? Your family will enjoy this healthy pumpkin chili.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 4 cups (1 carton) vegetable stock/broth (Note: add more if chili gets too thick)
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup dried lentils (any kind; rinse first) or another can of beans (your choice)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1–2 teaspoons sea salt (to taste; start with least amount)
- 1/2–1 teaspoon black pepper (to taste; start with least amount)
- In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, saute onions, carrots, and garlic in olive oil until tender, about 4-5 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper as they cook.
- Add all other ingredients into the same pot with veggies. Season sparingly with salt and pepper at this point. Bring to a boil, stirring almost constantly, and then reduce to a low simmer. Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring regularly to avoid scorching the bottom.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper amounts. Remove the bay leaf. Serve topped with your favorite chili toppings (sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheddar, onions, crackers, etc.).
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Cook according to directions. Let fully cool. Freeze in air tight, freezable container or zip top bag for up to 3 months.
Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and warm at a low temperature on the stove top. Or, add frozen soup to a large stock pot, add a cup or two of water or broth, and warm over low to medium-low heat. Stir occasionally, making sure the bottom doesn’t scorch.