Our Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp and Pineapple Kabobs are every bit as tasty as they sound. The sweetness of grilled fresh pineapple pairs perfectly with the smoky saltiness of the Burgers’ Smokehouse bacon. Serve with St. James Winery’s newest Strawberry Rosé and a light salad for a delightful summer meal.
- 12 ounces (about 10 slices) Burgers’ Smokehouse Bacon (we love the Applewood Smoked variety for this recipe)
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 pound 16/20 count (jumbo) shrimp, peeled, deveined, with tails on
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch chunks
- Cook the bacon until just done but still flexible (not crispy!). The easiest method is cooking it in the microwave in 2-minute increments. Thinner bacon will take about 3-4 minutes and thicker bacon may take 4-6 minutes, depending on your microwave. Or, use our No Fail Method in the oven, but take it out a few minutes early. Set the bacon aside on a wooden cutting board to cool. Then, cut the slices in half.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Set up a work station with the skewers (metal or wooden), shrimp, par-cooked bacon, pineapple chunks, and a dish or large plate to hold the finished skewers. To build the kabobs, wrap a shrimp in a half piece of bacon and thread it on the skewer followed by a pineapple chunk. Each kabob will hold four bacon-wrapped shrimp and four pineapple chunks. Place the kabobs in the dish. Tip: Thread any extra pineapple on skewers to grill along side the shrimp, too.
- Wash your hands well. Using tongs, place the kabobs on the grill. Let them cook for 2-3 minutes on the first side and then flip to the other side. Grill for 2-3 minutes, until done. Shrimp should be pink and opaque when done. Remove to a clean platter. (Alternate cooking method: Broil on a sheet pan for 2-3 minutes per side.)
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley, if desired. We suggest serving alongside a light summer wine like St. James Winery’s Strawberry Rosé and our Strawberry Avocado Salad.