This baked sweet bread packed with all the best flavors of fall and nutritious ingredients like whole wheat flour, flaxseed, pumpkin, and bananas. We’ve also included directions for making this into muffins and how to double the recipe and freeze one batch for later.
- 1 cup mashed overripe bananas (about 1 banana)
- 1/2 cup canned pureed pumpkin
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted (Can you freeze butter? Yes! Here’s how.)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup unrefined sugar
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour (Sub: white whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour (Sub: all purpose flour or whole wheat flour)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
Make It Now:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan (or muffin tin) with cooking spray
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the bananas, pumpkin, yogurt, melted butter, eggs, vanilla and sugar, until well combined. (Or, put all the wet ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth. Use a spatula to help remove it in the next step.)
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the flours*, flaxseed, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add this flour mixture to the wet mixture; stir just until blended. *Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- Pour batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan (or evenly into the muffin cups). Use a scraper to make sure all the batter gets used.
- For the bread, bake for 50-55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. (For muffins, bake at for 15-18 minutes until a wooden pick comes out clean.)
- Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes in the pan on a wire rack. Remove bread or muffins from pan and cool completely. (Freezing instructions begin here.)
Freeze For Later: Bake and cool completely. Remove bread from pan and wrap tightly with plastic wrap and a layer of foil. For muffins, remove from pan, place in freezer bag in a single layer, press out all air, and seal. Freeze.
Prepare From Frozen: Thaw in fridge or on counter or use defrost setting of microwave. Warm in 15 second increments in microwave.