Breakfast, snack, or dessert…this bread, mini bread, muffin, or mini-muffin recipe fits the bill. This bread is moist, nutritious yet has enough good-for-you fat (from coconut oil) and sweetness to taste delicious!
I altered this Basic Banana Bread recipe from Cooking Light Magazine and plan to try their other variation called Peanut Butter Banana Bread. To up the nutrition, I added some pumpkin, subbed some whole wheat flour, and used a bit less sugar.
I often bake up a double batch of these in various muffin tin sizes, freeze them, and pull them out for quick school morning breakfasts. My kids go bananas (pardon the pun) over these guys! You’ll notice this batch is a bit more orange than the others. That’s because I changed the pumpkin to banana ratio in this one (1 cup pumpkin to 1/2 cup smashed banana), and they were still rockin.
And then on other days, I feel more like having a nice, warm loaf of Banana Pumpkin Bread instead. Either way, this recipe is a home run. I’ve made it more times than I can count. Enjoy!Print
Banana Pumpkin Bread is the flavor packed muffin worthy recipe your family will love.
- 1 cup smashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup canned pureed pumpkin
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup unrefined sugar (also known as sucanat)
- 1 cup unbleached white flour (or sub white whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed. Add sugar; beat until combined.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through ground nutmeg) in bowl. Add flour mixture to banana mixture; beat just until blended.
- Pour batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan or muffin tin coated with cooking spray.
- For bread, bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. For muffins, bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes until a wooden pick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven; cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove bread or muffins from pan; cool completely.
- Optional: Combine powdered sugar and milk, stirring until smooth; drizzle over bread.
Freezer Meal Recipes:
To Freeze: Bake and cool completely. Remove bread from pan and wrap tightly with plastic wrap and a layer of foil. Or, remove muffins from pan, place in freezer bag, seal and press out all air. Freeze.
To Prepare: Thaw in fridge or on counter or use defrost setting of microwave. Warm in 15 second increments in microwave.