(Looking for healthy freezer meal recipes? We have 70+ of our favorites HERE!)
Whenever I make my Roasted Whole Chicken and Vegetables (one my very favorite recipes) or Slow Cooker Whole Chicken, I sometimes have chicken leftover. So, I throw it in the freezer. When I’ve got a few cups of cooked chicken in the freezer, I’m ready to make this delicious chicken freezer meal: Chicken Parmesan Casserole.
My family loves this simple chicken freezer meal recipe because it’s an old family favorite in a comfort-food form. I bet you have most of these ingredients on hand: tomato sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese, panko or whole wheat bread crumbs, and maybe a few fresh herbs. That’s it. You can eat it by itself or serve it over pasta. It might be nice over a bed of rice, too.
Look at these simple steps. Anyone can do this! Note: The recipe is for an 8×8 pan and the pictures below are in a 9×13. I did have to double the recipe to do this. If you’re looking for a variation, this is another great Chicken Parmesan recipe.
How to make our favorite Chicken Freezer Meal: Chicken Parmesan Casserole
The easy-to-print Chicken Parmesan Casserole recipe is below, but I wanted to mention that, as with so many of our freezer-friendly recipes, this Chicken Parmesan Casserole freezes wonderfully. Freezer meal directions are included at the bottom of the recipe. So be sure to make two and freeze one of them!
What kind of containers do you store freezer meals in?
Note: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Read our full disclosure policy here.
We recommend using a BPA-free container or dish. While it may be easier to buy the disposable Glad ovenware containers, it really makes sense to stock up on some quality, safe dishes that you can bake AND store in. After searching long and hard, we highly recommend and use these containers below. We both have collected a huge stash of them over the years!
Here is a picture of them in use.
A few reasons I like these:
- Glass is a natural, non-porous material.
- Glass cookware doubles as food storageware.
- Glass is easy to clean and dishwasher safe.
- The clear lid allows easy visibility to your food.
- Because they are oven and microwave proof, you can cook, heat, and store your food all in one dish.
- Flat top allows for easy stacking.
- They are VERY affordable.
The Ultimate Chicken Freezer Meal: Chicken Parmesan CasserolePrint
This family favorite is super easy to make, made with real food ingredients, and also freezer friendly.
- 4 cups (about 1.5 pounds) fully-cooked chicken, shredded or cubed (where to find meat you can trust)
- 1 jar (28 ounces) of marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup panko or whole wheat bread crumbs (Here is how to make your own)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh, chopped herbs (parsley, basil, oregano, etc), to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8×8 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Layer the chicken in the bottom. Dump in the marinara sauce and mix with the chicken. Next, top with both cheeses until all the chicken is covered.
- In a small bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, olive oil, fresh herbs and a dash of salt and pepper together.
- Sprinkle the seasoned breadcrumbs over the top.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until golden on top and bubbling on the sides.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
To Freeze: Put casserole together and freeze it before baking.
To Prepare: Let it thaw in the fridge over night. If it’s still slightly frozen in the middle, you’ll just have to cook it longer than the recipe calls for or defrost it a bit in the microwave before baking. Cover it with foil if the top gets too brown in the oven.
The Best Freezer Meal Resource
Although we love the recipes from our blog like this one, we actually spent over a year painstakingly developing, testing, and retesting over 75 new, freezer-friendly recipes for our cookbook called From Freezer to Table (Rodale Books).
All of the recipes in From Freezer to Table are delicious, made from whole foods, are easy to prepare, and can be made fresh or frozen for later. Plus, every recipe includes freezer meal instructions. Our cookbook is a beautiful resource you will pull out again and again! (Scroll below for a sneak peek of a few favorites from the book.)
Is breakfast your thang? We’ve got tasty whole foods breakfasts that will be waiting for your family on those hurried mornings. The Chocolate Zu-Nana Waffles are a guaranteed kid-favorite…
And Mixed Berry Scones, made with whole wheat and all good-for-you ingredients, will knock your socks off and start your day off right…
Last but not least, you’ll find family favorites that are quick and easy for weeknights but work just as well for dinner guests. Crispy Chicken with Lemony Butter Sauce is an elegant and mouth-watering meal you’ll make again and again…
In From Freezer to Table, we also teach you how to make freezer cooking a lifestyle either on your own or with friends, so that you can enjoy healthy, stress-free meals around the table with your loved ones. Order your copy today.