I only cook brown rice in the Instant Pot these days. Once I nailed down the perfect cooking time, I didn’t look back. Making brown rice in the Instant Pot is easy, fluffy, and perfect every time.
Once I learned how to make rice in the Instant Pot, I gave away my rice cooker. The Instant Pot does the job just right every time! Here is how I get perfectly cooked brown rice from the Instant Pot.
What is the Rice/Broth Ratio?
For brown rice, use a 1:1 1/4 ratio when cooking in the Instant Pot.
You can scale the amount you want to make up and down as much as you want. Here’s the scale for cooking different amounts:
- 1 cups rice to 1.25 cups liquid
- 2 cups rice to 2.5 cups liquid
- 3 cups rice to 3.75 cups liquid
Important Tip: Do not fill your Instant Pot more than halfway with the rice and liquid. This prevents excessive foaming that can block the mechanisms in the lid.
Should I Use Broth or Water for the Liquid?
Either one will work! Most of the times, I prefer to use broth or stock. It adds more flavor without any extra work.
Do I Use Quick Release or Natural Release?
It’s really important you use at least a 10 minute natural release when making Instant Pot brown rice. This means, don’t nudge the release valve to vent any of the pressure until 10 minutes after it’s cook time is done.
Can I Freeze Cooked Rice?
Most people don’t realize this but YES! You can freeze cooked rice! We’ve written a whole article on how to freeze rice here. Be sure to read up if you plan to make a bunch of brown rice.
What Recipes Use Brown Rice?
Here are some delicious recipes that use brown rice:
Toss in your cooked rice at the end of making this popular (and super easy!) vegetarian soup.
Throw your cooked rice in these wraps for a hearty and healthy lunch. I have these in the freezer often!
If using previously frozen cooked rice for this recipe, be sure to add in a little chicken broth for moisture.
Want More Freezer Meals for the Instant Pot?
We’ve got you covered. Hop over to this post highlighting 20+ Best of the Best Freezer Meals for the Instant Pot. It includes freezer meal instructions for EVERY recipe plus tons of pro tips and tricks we’ve learned over the years.Print
Cooking brown rice in the Instant Pot comes out perfectly every time with this recipe. Enjoy!
- 2 cups brown rice (not quick cooking kind)
- 2.5 cups water or chicken broth
- Rinse the rice in a colander.
- Add rice and water/broth to Instant Pot. (Important Tip: Do not fill your Instant Pot more than halfway with the rice and liquid. This prevents excessive foaming that can block the mechanisms in the lid.)
- Lock and seal the lid and cook at high pressure for 23 minutes.
- Let Instant Pot naturally release pressure for at least 10 minutes (that means, just don’t touch it). Then, do a quick release of the rest of the pressure by opening the pressure valve.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and eat up!
This recipe only works for brown rice, but does not work for white rice, basmati rice, or any quick cooking rice.
If cooking white rice in the Instant Pot, cook at high press for 8 minutes with a 10 minute natural release.
If cooking basmati rice in the Instant Pot, cook at high pressure for 4-8 minutes with a 10 minute natural release.
If cooking jasmine rice, cook at high pressure for 4-10 minutes with a 10 minute natural release.