I’d be stupid if I didn’t make this Fried Rice with Sweet Soy Sauce recipe fairly often for the fam. Want to know why? I’ll give you seven substantial reasons:
1. This fried rice is full of flavor and is filling even without meat. My husband and some of my kids (there’s always a picky one, right?) love it.
2. It’s packed full of fiber, good fat, protein, vitamins, and minerals.
3. I only get one pan dirty. Boo ya!
4. You can use up any vegetables in the fridge and freezer. Seriously, feel free to use whatever you’ve got for this one. In addition to the veggies listed in the recipe, I’ve used frozen peas, onions, green beans, bamboo shoots and cauliflower. The possibilities are endless.
5. The addition of the brown sugar makes this particular sauce kid-friendly. Who doesn’t like their veggies with a little sugar on them? 🙂
6. It takes about 30 minutes from start to finish.
7. Last but not least, this healthy main dish is CHEAP! I estimate that this dinner, even when using organic eggs, cost me about $6 to feed 4 people.
So, there is my two cents about why you might want to try this recipe on a weeknight. I’ll leave it in your hands now.
This homemade fried rice is healthy, inexpensive, and better than some of your favorite Chinese takeout! Try this for your family’s next favorite weeknight meal.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (for the pan)
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup broccoli, chopped
- 4–5 stalks asparagus, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar snap peas or frozen peas, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups of cooked brown rice
- Sweet Soy Sauce (see recipe below)
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped (optional)
- For Sweet Soy Sauce:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat; swirl to coat.
- Pour eggs into pan; cook for 2 minutes or until set, stirring a few times. Remove eggs from pan.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to pan. Add vegetables; stir-fry until softened (do not let garlic burn). Season with salt and pepper while it’s cooking.
- Add rice. Stir-fry for 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add cooked eggs, sweet soy sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Top with parsley. Toss to combine.
- For the Soy Sauce: Bring soy sauce, brown sugar, butter and minced onion to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer 2 minutes or until reduced to 1/4 cup.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Cook fully. Cool. Freeze in an air tight/freezer-safe container.
When ready to eat, thaw, add a little water and/or more soy sauce (if needed for moisture), and warm in the microwave or over low heat in a pan on the stove.