This post may contain affiliate or sponsored links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Cheesy Pesto bread is a delicious twist on the classic garlic bread or Texas Toast. It serves as a hearty side but has an extra punch of flavor thanks to the Pesto. It’s super easy to make and is a total crowd-pleaser recipe.
Reasons You’ll Love This Recipe
- It has only 3 ingredients! More on those below.
- It’s done in 20 minutes. Seriously. It takes roughly 5 minutes to assemble and 15 minutes to bake.
- It’s a lot of bang for your buck. This recipe is very affordable and goes a long way.
- It’s a good side dish any time of the year. While pesto is best when made fresh, it can be purchased at the store and works great on recipes like this.
Ingredients in Cheesy Pesto Bread
Our readers go crazy over recipes that only have a few ingredients. Busy parents need simple recipes in their lives, am-I-right?! Here’s the good news…you only need 3 ingredients for this Pesto Bread recipe!
- Bread – I recommend grabbing a fresh loaf of bread from the bakery at your grocery store. Sometimes it’s labeled as a “French Loaf” and other times it’s labeled as an “Italian Loaf.” Keep in mind that the size of loaf you use will determine how much of the other ingredients you use.
- Cheese – Sliced provolone is what works best in this recipe. I prefer sliced over shredded.
- Pesto – We highly recommend making your own pesto. However, we are well aware that fresh basil is not always abundant so most of the time you will have to get it from the store. If this is the case, opt for the refrigerated pesto (vs. the kind in a jar on the shelf.) The refrigerated pesto tastes better.
Did You Know You Can Freeze Pesto?
Using our 10+ years of freezer cooking experience, we are sharing anything and everything you need to know about freezing pesto.
How to Make Pesto Bread
Slice the bread
Using a bread knife, slice your loaf of bread evenly in half lengthwise and lay it open.
Add the pesto
Use a spatula or butter knife, divide the pesto in half and spread it out evenly over the surface of the bread. Use it all up!
Lay out the cheese
On top of the pesto, lay out the cheese slices. Use as much or as little as it takes to cover the bread as best you can.
Bake the Pesto Bread
In a preheated oven, bake the Pesto Bread for about 15 minutes, or until you start to see the edges brown a bit.
Allow the bread to cool a bit before handling. Using a bread knife, slice the pesto bread into pieces and serve warm.
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
- 1 (10-14 ounce) loaf of french bread
- 3/4 – 1 cup (6-8 ounces) pesto
- 8+ slices Provolone or Mozzarella cheese
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Slice the bread in half lengthwise and place on a sheet pan. (Tip: Cover the sheet pan with foil or parchment paper for easy clean up.)
- Using a spatula, evenly divide the pesto between the two halves and spread it out over the bread.
- Layer on the pieces of Provolone cheese. Use as much as needed to cover the pesto.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the edges start to brown a little. Let cool for a few minutes and then cut into pieces.
- The size of bread loaf varies depending on where you get them. Adjust the pesto and cheese accordingly.