When I made this chicken spaghetti recipe for the first time last week, my husband ate it for about 5 meals in a row and proceeded to ask me to make it again the next week.
My kids eagerly scarfed it down as well. Tonight’s batch ended up on about every area of exposed skin on my 18 month old, but I take that as a sign he liked it.
Needless to say, this recipe is a keeper!
Be warned, this recipe makes a TON of chicken spaghetti. You can either make a big ol’ batch in a 9×13 casserole dish or split it between two 8×8 dishes and freeze one for later.
Ready to get started?
A few things to clarify…
You can chop veggies by hand but I chose to throw them into the food processor. I like this approach because you can sneak in some more veggies without a huge change in texture. Oh, I threw some parsley in for good measure. It was a fine choice, I might add. Spinach would also work.
Chop chop chop.
Here it is all mixed up. Yum. Or yuck. Not sure.
Topped with cheese and ready to pop in the oven! OR, you could cover this with plastic wrap and foil and freeze it for a future meal. I did both.
Done and done.Print
This Chicken Spaghetti Casserole will keep your family coming back for more deliciousness. So. Darn. Good.
- 1 pound whole wheat linguini (or spaghetti), broken into 2-inch pieces
- Two (10 and 3/4-ounce) cans organic cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2–3 chicken breasts, fully cooked and chopped or shredded
- 1/2 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 small or medium onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, divided
Make It Now:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13 inch casserole dish or two 8×8 dishes with cooking spray.
- Cook the linguini according to the package instructions, until al dente (slightly undercooked). When the pasta is done, drain it in a colander over the sink.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently stir together the cooked linguini with the cream of mushroom soup, chicken broth, chicken, green peppers, red peppers, onions, seasoned salt, cayenne, and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese, Sprinkle it all with salt and pepper, to your preference.
- Place the mixture in the dish (or dishes) and top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese. (Freezing instructions begin here.)
- Bake until bubbly around the edges, about 40-45 minutes. (If the cheese on top starts to get too dark, cover with foil.)
Freeze For Later: Follow steps 1-4 (do not bake). Cover the casserole dishes with a few layers of plastic wrap and foil. Squeeze out any excess air and freeze. Prepare From Frozen: Thaw. (Here are three safe ways to thaw freezer meals.) Follow step 5. If it’s still slightly frozen in the middle, you’ll just have to cook it longer than the recipe calls for or defrost a bit in the microwave before baking. Cover it with foil if the top gets too brown in the oven.