This freezer-friendly Chicken Spaghetti Casserole will keep your family coming back for more deliciousness.
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta
- Two (10 and 3/4-ounce) cans organic cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2–3 chicken breasts, fully cooked and chopped or shredded (roughly 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 small or medium onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt, such as Lawry’s Seasoned Salt or use this DIY recipe
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, divided
Make It Now:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13 inch casserole dish or two 8×8 dishes with cooking spray.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions, until al dente (slightly undercooked). When the pasta is done, drain it in a colander over the sink.
- While pasta is cooking, saute the bell peppers & onions in a bit of olive oil until they begin to soften (about 4-5 minutes).
- In a large mixing bowl, gently stir together the cooked pasta with the cream of mushroom soup, chicken broth, chicken, sauteed veggies, seasoned salt, cayenne, and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Sprinkle it all with salt and pepper, to your preference.
- Place the mixture in the dish (or dishes) and top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese. (Freezing instructions begin here.)
- Bake until bubbly around the edges, about 40-45 minutes. (If the cheese on top starts to get too dark, cover with foil.)
Freeze For Later: Follow steps 1-5 (do not bake). Cover the casserole dishes with a few layers of plastic wrap and foil. Squeeze out any excess air and freeze.
Prepare From Frozen: Thaw. (Here are three safe ways to thaw freezer meals.) Follow step 6. If it’s still slightly frozen in the middle, you’ll just have to cook it longer than the recipe calls for or defrost a bit in the microwave before baking. Cover it with foil if the top gets too brown in the oven.