This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
I love delicious recipes that have sneaky veggies!
This Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread recipe is perfect for sneaking vegetables into. The dark chocolate color masks any pops of green that might throw off skeptical kiddos. It’s a perfect recipe to use up any frozen zucchini you might have in the freezer too. (Other zuccchini recipes on our site include Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread, Zucchini Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookies, Zucchini Flaxseed Muffins, and Double Chocolate Zucchini Waffles!)
Is Chocolate Zucchini Bread Healthy?
I guess it depends on how you define, “healthy.” It’s for sure healthier than the original recipe!
If you’re curious, here are some swaps I made:
- Subbed 1/2 cup of white flour with wheat flour
- Subbed melted coconut oil instead of vegetable oil
- Reduced the amount of sugar
In recipes like this, I usually swap some flour out for ground flax seed to add some nutrition but I didn’t do that this time. (Here is a post on why you should eat flax seed if you’re curious.)
Regardless of my healthy substitutions, my family really liked the bread! I initially thought I made a mistake by reducing the sugar by half, but it turns out that the chocolate chips add plenty of sweetness.
Pro Tip: If you think you kiddos will sniff out the shredded zucchini, just throw it in a food processor to blend it up more. I often do this when sneaking fruits and vegetables into my kids favorite recipes.
How to Freeze Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Freezing Instructions: After bread is baked, let cool completely. Slice the bread but keep it in the form of a loaf. By slicing it, you can thaw out one or two pieces instead of the whole loaf. Wrap loaf in saran wrap and then in foil. (I usually skip saran wrap but I’ve heard it helps it to save longer). Simply thaw out the bread when you’re ready to eat some!
Make sure to check out our other baked goods recipes! We’ve got LOADS of delicious, healthy recipes waiting to be baked up!
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil (can sub vegetable oil)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease one 9×5 loaf pan.
- In a mixer, combine oil, sugars and vanilla. Mix in eggs and shredded zucchini.
- In a separate bowl, mix flours, salt, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder. Slowly mix this dry mixture into your wet mixture. Beat until combined. Mix in chocolate chips.
- Move the batter to your prepared loaf pan, and bake at 350 degrees for 55-65 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center. Remove from oven and cool in pan for 10 minutes before cooling on a wire rack.
Freezer Meal Instructions: To Freeze: After bread is baked, let cool completely. Slice the bread but keep it in the form of a loaf. By slicing it, you can thaw out one or two pieces instead of the whole loaf. Wrap loaf in saran wrap and then in foil. Store in freezer for up to 3 months. To Prepare: Thaw individual slices of bread in refrigerator or microwave.