This Healthy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread is made with all whole food ingredients and is moist and delicious!
Zucchini grows in abundance around here in the summer time. It’s incredibly healthy so I like to sneak it into as many meals as I can. Often times I make Zucchini Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookies, Zucchini Flaxseed Muffins, or Double Chocolate Zucchini Waffles.
If I’m not feeling inspired, I just freeze zucchini using this hack.
On this particular morning, I went for this Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread instead. Friends, this bread did not stay on our counter for long. It’s completely moist, naturally sweet, and just the right amount of chocolatey.
What’s in Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread?
And it’s a snack or quick breakfast you can feel good about. After all, it’s chock full of 100% whole wheat, zucchini, and all real food ingredients. Here is what you’ll need:
- White whole wheat flour – I highly recommend using white whole wheat flour, like King Arthur or Prairie Gold. It makes the bread turn out much lighter than the usual whole wheat flour (made with red wheat).
- Baking soda – for leavening
- Ground cinnamon – adds flavor
- Melted coconut oil or avocado oil
- Honey or maple syrup
- Milk – I use whole milk
- Vanilla extract (how to make your own vanilla)
- Grated zucchini – Pro tip: Use paper towels to squeeze out excess moister from the grated zucchini.
- Mini chocolate chips – I’ve also used dark chocolate chips
Can you Freeze Zucchini Bread?
You betcha! I almost always bake two loaves so my family can enjoy one now and I can freeze one for later.
To freeze it well, be sure to let the bread cool completely. Then, wrap it in several layers of plastic wrap and a layer or two of foil, squeezing out any extra air. Label it and place it in the back of the freezer. It should be good to go for 1-3 months.
To thaw, just set it in the fridge or the counter. Warm slices in the microwave with a little butter on top.
More Healthy Sweet Breads
If you like this recipe, be sure to try these other nutritious quick breads…
This Banana Pumpkin Bread is moist, nutritious, and delicious! Learn how to freeze it for later or make it into muffins, too.
Prepare to “fall” in love with Cinnamon Applesauce Bread. Using mostly pantry staples, you can bake up this nutritious, mouth-watering sweet bread in no time.
What to Serve with Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
A healthy zucchini bread like this recipe would go great with so many breakfast recipes. Here are a few to get you started:Print
Healthy Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips is moist, naturally sweet, and just the right amount of chocolatey.
- 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini (using a towel to squeeze out the excess moisture before stirring it into the batter)
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 9” x 5” loaf pan to prevent the bread from sticking.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, honey, eggs, milk, and vanilla extract. (If your coconut oil solidifies on contact with cold ingredients, warm it for about 20 seconds in the microwave.) Using a large spoon, stir in the zucchini.
- Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into your greased loaf pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes (note: a glass pan may take longer), or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the loaf pan for a few minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool before slicing it with a serrated knife.
- Wrap tightly and store on the counter for 2 to 3 days at room temperature, in the refrigerator for 5 to 7 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months or so.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
To Freeze: Bake according to directions. Cool completely. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and foil and freeze. Or cut into individual slices, wrap in foil, and stick in a gallon-sized freezer bag so you can grab out one piece at a time.
To Prepare From Frozen: Unwrap and warm in the microwave in 20 second intervals until warmed through. Serve with a little butter on top.