Want a high protein, low carb, on-the-go breakfast option that will keep you satisfied all morning? These Cheddar Chive Egg Bites are the perfect solution for a healthy breakfast on busy weekdays. Make this simple recipe ahead of time over the weekend and then enjoy them all week long.
Note: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Read our full disclosure policy here.
We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But, boy, it’s hard on those chaotic weekday mornings to eat a nutritious breakfast that will keep you running for hours, isn’t it?
My solution for my whole family: Cheddar Chive Egg Bites. I whipped these up with just a few simple ingredients–eggs, bacon, milk, cheese, fresh chives (or your favorite fresh herbs), salt and pepper. Let me tell you, as soon as I pulled them out of the oven, my kids and husband kept coming by and stealing them. They are that good!
Not only are they tasty, but they will keep you and your kids satisfied all morning because they are full of protein. Serve them with one of our smoothies as a delicious, nutritious, grab-and-go breakfast. Bonus: If anyone in your family is gluten-free, Cheddar Chive Egg Bites work for you, too!
I’m thinking there are all kinds of ways to change up the flavors, once you get the hang of this. What do you think about some of these ideas in place of bacon, cheddar, and chives?
Idea #1: Turkey sausage, feta, and roasted red peppers (We have a DELICIOUS quiche with similar ingredients in our cookbook that I can’t get enough of.)
Idea #2: Pancetta, crumbled goat cheese, and fresh basil
Idea #3: Ham, Swiss cheese, and baby spinach
Idea #4: Sautéed chopped onions, bell peppers, jalapeño pepper with your favorite shredded cheese
The possibilities seem endless!
You can easily double or triple this batch to have on hand in the fridge all week long. Just warm them briefly in the microwave or eat them straight from the fridge. For more real food, make-ahead breakfast ideas, check out our cookbook…
One important tip: Be sure to grease your muffin tin very well! My first batch came out easily, but by the second batch they were sticking to the pan. In hindsight, I wish I had wiped out the muffin cups well and re-greased it well.
I hope you enjoy this high protein, low carb easy breakfast recipe as much as we did!Print
These low carb, high protein, kid-friendly egg bites are a great grab-and-go breakfast. Make ahead for the week and warm them in the microwave each morning.
- 8 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk (any type will work)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh chives (sub: fresh basil or parsley)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4–5 pieces of cooked uncured bacon, chopped into bite-sized pieces (This is where we get our favorite uncured bacon free for life!*)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously grease a mini muffin pan.
- In a glass measuring cup with spout, whisk together the eggs, milk, chives, salt and pepper.
- Carefully fill each muffin cup about 3/4th of the way full with the egg mixture. Divide the bacon and cheese evenly among the muffin cups, sprinkling them on top.
- Bake on the center rack for about 13 minutes, or until eggs are just set in the middle. Remove to a cooling rack and let cool for a few minutes. Run a butter knife around the edges of each egg bite and gently remove each one to the cooling rack.
- Once cooled, store in an air-tight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. To warm up later, microwave in 10 second increments just until warmed through. Do not overcook or they will become rubbery.
*Affiliate link, but opinions are all ours. We both use and love Butcherbox.