This post may contain affiliate or sponsored links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Your family will love this easy, make-ahead Breakfast Burrito Recipe that goes straight from the freezer to the microwave or oven for a fast and satisfying breakfast. My family also loves breakfast burritos for dinner!
Why Make Breakfast Burritos
Let us make a quick case for why it’s worth spending an hour or two preparing a load of breakfast burritos to have on hand.
- Crowd-pleaser! These suckers are cheesy, gooey, melty deliciousness wrapped in a tortilla. We make them for breakfast or dinner with rave reviews from the kids and adults.
- Healthy! As you know, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. With eggs, cheese, and bacon, this protein-packed meal will stick with you (or your kids) for hours. Add in some veggies or serve with some of our healthy suggestions below to round out this quick breakfast.
- Grab-and-Go! They are super easy to warm up in the morning, grab, and go. Just pull out the amount of burritos you need and follow our reheating instructions.
- Customizable! They are easy to customize with add-ins. See our ideas below.
7 Must Have Smoothie Recipes
Get our best smoothie recipes, freezer pack instructions, & pro tips sent straight to your inbox.
What Ingredients Should I Put in a Breakfast Burrito?
You can alter them to fit your own taste preferences easily. We have provided a basic recipe that includes scrambled eggs, cheese, hash browns, and bacon. This 4-ingredient combo alone is a crowd favorite!
If you want to add in some more nutrition and flavor, though, try some of these suggestions that would work well:
- Diced and sautéed bell peppers, red onion, and jalapeño peppers
- Sliced and sautéed white button mushrooms
- Black beans
- Chopped spinach
- Sliced green onions
- Chopped fresh herbs, like parsley, cilantro, or basil
- Switch up the cheese and try something like Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, feta, or goat cheese
- Serve diced avocado or guacamole on top (do not freeze in the burrito; instead add this after reheating it)
Mix Up the Meat!
If you want to use another meat besides bacon, you can also use cooked sausage or chorizo.
Can I use corn tortillas?
Because corn tortillas are a bit more fragile, they don’t hold up well in this recipe. Especially if you plan to freeze the burritos. Stick with flour tortillas with this recipe.
How to Prep and Freeze Breakfast Burritos
Prepping Breakfast Burritos isn’t hard but it will take a little work on the front end. Trust me. You will be sooo happy to have these on hand in your freezer afterward.
Check out our short video showing you just how easy it is…
The Most Efficient Way to Make Breakfast Burritos
Here’s how we would suggest breaking down the work in order to be most efficient and to use only one large sauté pan:
- Fry your bacon in a large sauté pan (I love my cast iron pan). If you don’t want to fry your bacon on the stove, you can always cook your bacon in the oven.
- Using the bacon fat that is left (yum!), cook the hash browns according to package instructions in the same pan. Set aside on a paper-toweled lined plate.
- Then, using the same pan, cook your scrambled eggs according to the recipe.
- Set up your assembly line, and wrap and roll!
Our recipe makes 8 burritos. Why not double or triple it if you’re going to already be shopping, prepping, wrapping, and freezing? It’s such a great use of your time.
How to Freeze Breakfast Burritos
The key to success when freezing any freezer meal is to reduce exposure to air.
That’s why we recommend tightly wrapping each individual burrito in foil (this also is handy when heating in the oven!) and then placing them in a gallon-sized freezer bag.
Squeeze out any excess air before sealing.
How to Reheat a Breakfast Burrito
You have a few options to reheat a frozen breakfast burrito:
1) Microwave Method: This is the fastest method. Unwrap the foil from the frozen burrito, wrap in a moist paper towel, and microwave using the defrost setting for 2 to 3 minutes, or until warmed through.
2) Oven Method (Frozen): Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the frozen breakfast burrito (in foil) for 45-60 minutes, until warmed through.
3) Oven Method (Thawed): Thaw the burritos in the refrigerator overnight. Bake (in foil) for about 15 minutes in a 350°F oven, until warmed through and the cheese is melty.
Want More Make Ahead Breakfast Ideas?
Foolproof make-ahead breakfast recipes that will help you start the morning the right way.
What to Serve with Breakfast Burritos
Breakfast burritos can be a complete meal in and of themselves, especially if you include some of our optional add-ins like sauteed peppers and onions or chopped spinach.
If you opt for our basic recipe, however, you may want to serve up some fruit and veggies. Here are som ideas:
- Avocado Lime Salsa makes a tasty fresh topping or side.
- Fruit Salad is easy to prep ahead. Wash, cut up, and toss together your favorite berries and fruit, like kiwi, pineapple, and cantaloupe.
- Serve Roasted Vegetable Hash on the side.
- Smoothies! Try one of these favorites:
Now grab a friend and get cooking, wrapping, and freezing just in time for back to school breakfasts. Be sure to check out all of our breakfast recipes for more delicious ideas.
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
- 12 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk (your choice)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter (or avocado oil)
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 pound shredded or diced hash brown potatoes, cooked according to package directions
- 1 pound Burgers’ Smokehouse Diced Bacon, cooked (or chop up their sliced bacon)
- 8 burrito-size tortillas
- Optional Add-Ins:
- sautéed bell peppers, onions, jalepeno peppers, or mushrooms
- chopped spinach
- sliced green onions
- diced avocados
- other kinds of cheeses (Monterey Jack, feta, etc)
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
Make It Now:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat, making sure it doesn’t brown. Pour in the egg mixture and scramble the eggs until set but still moist. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Prepare an assembly line with all the ingredients, including 8 square pieces of foil. Assemble each burrito on top of the foil by placing approximately 1/2 cup eggs, 1/4 cup cheese, 1/3 cup potatoes, and 2 tablespoons bacon (and any additional add-ins, if desired) in the middle of the tortilla. Use a spoon or your hands to toss the ingredients before wrapping the tortilla.
- Fold in the sides of the tortilla. While holding those in place, fold up the bottom of the tortilla over the ingredients and roll tightly into a burrito. Then, wrap the burrito tightly in the foil. (Freezing instructions begin here.)
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until warmed through and the cheese is melty.
Freeze For Later: Follow steps 1-5. Place foil-wrapped burritos in a freezer bag, seal, and freeze.
Prepare From Frozen: You have three options:
1) Microwave Method: Unwrap the foil from the frozen burrito, wrap in a moist paper towel, and microwave using the defrost setting for 2 to 3 minutes, or until warmed through.
2) Oven Method (Frozen): Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake for 45-60 minutes, until warmed through.
3) Oven Method (Thawed): Thaw the burritos in the refrigerator. Bake as directed in step 6.