This post may contain affiliate or sponsored links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Holy moly. This Avocado Salsa is a keeper! With only 5 ingredients on hand and a few minutes in the kitchen, you’ll have a healthy and fresh-tasting appetizer, side dish, or light lunch to die for.
Disclaimer: This post was created in partnership with Hy-Vee (Columbia).
The Story Behind the Recipe
To be honest, I didn’t create this recipe for Thriving Home. I originally whipped it up to top a Cilantro Lime Chicken wrap recipe that I was testing out for our first cookbook.
When I realized that I had stumbled upon greatness in the form of avocados, tomatoes, lime juice, and red onion, I began snapping pictures. Since that time, I’ve made this approximately 3,694 times or something like that.
This Avocado Salsa recipe is too good to not be shared!
Oftentimes the simplest, freshest ingredients paired together make the best of recipes. That’s true of this one!
5 Basic Ingredients:
You’ll only need these items to get started.
- Avocados – Look for large, ripe ones (should have a little give when you press on them).
- Cherry Tomatoes – Great use of all those garden tomatoes in the summer!
- Red Onion – Be sure to dice very small.
- Lime – This citrus juice adds some zip and brings out the best flavor in each ingredient.
- Kosher Salt – Simply salt to your preference.
The ingredients above work great together, but if you want to go above and beyond, try some of these additional ingredients to jazz things up.
- Cilantro – Finely chop to sprinkle over the top or stir in for added flavor and freshness.
- Jalapeno Pepper – Seed and mince to add some crunch and heat.
- Cumin – Stir in a little cumin from the pantry to add smokiness.
- Cayenne Pepper – Stir in a pinch of cayenne from the pantry for even more heat.
I’m telling you, anyone can make and enjoy this simple dish!
Where Should I Get My Ingredients?
If you want the best produce around, we suggest grabbing your ingredients at your local Hy-Vee grocery store or using their Aisles Online to have your groceries delivered or prepared for pick up.
To make things easy for you, we started a custom shopping cart with the Avocado Salsa ingredients…
How to Make Avocado Salsa
Like I mentioned, this avocado salsa recipe is so darn easy. All you need to do is…
Chop Your Veggies
Cut your ripe avocado in half from end to end. Remove the pit (this tool is very helpful!). Scoop out the flesh and dice it up.
Dice your cherry tomatoes and finely chop the red onion, as well. I like the pieces to be small enough to get a little of everything in each bite.
If you’re using optional cilantro or jalapeno, chop it very finely too.
Toss with Lime Juice & Salt
Stir all the ingredients together with the fresh lime juice and Kosher salt (to taste). If desired, stir in a little fresh cilantro, jalapeno, cumin, or cayenne.
We’ve found it’s best to serve right away with tortilla chips or whole-grain crackers. The avocado can begin to get mushy after it sits for a while.
What to Serve with Avocado Salsa
While this recipe works great as an appetizer or stand alone lighter lunch, here are a few dinner ideas to serve it with. Enjoy!
It’s fresh. It’s zesty. It’s flavorful. It’s healthy. Time to get chopping and make some of your own Avocado Salsa!
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
This fresh and zesty Avocado Salsa recipe makes a fast, healthy, and tasty appetizer or side dish for any Mexican entree.
- 2 large ripe avocados, pitted and cut up into small pieces
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, diced (about 15 tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (juice of 1 lime)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, plus more to taste
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Mix all ingredients together and lightly toss until lime juice has coated all of the veggies. Taste and season with salt to your preference.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips.
- Chop the avocado and cherry tomatoes into small, uniform pieces that fit on a chip. We suggest dicing the red onion even smaller.
- I’ve found that the avocados are easier to chop if they are refrigerated beforehand.
Don’t Forget About Your Custom Cart!
To make things easy for you, we started a custom shopping cart at Hy-Vee with the Avocado Salsa ingredients to save you time…
Leave a Comment