Disclaimer: This recipe was created in partnership with Frigidaire. But the opinions are all ours!
Our family is kind of obsessed with these make-ahead chicken burritos. I regularly pull them straight from the freezer to either warm in the oven or microwave for a quick and healthy lunch or dinner. I have a feeling we are going to depend strongly on these once the school chaos starts up again! They are perfect for those busy nights when you’re in-and-out or to send in lunchboxes (just heat in foil and place in insulated lunchbox to keep warm.)
These simple, individual chicken burritos make for a filling, healthy, and satisfying lunch or dinner anywhere and anytime. Keep them in the freezer at work, send in a child’s lunchbox (simply heat and wrap in foil), or grab-and-go on busy nights.
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (about 1 lb) chicken breasts, diced and patted very dry
- 1 packet store-bought mild taco seasoning (or use this homemade taco seasoning)
- 2/3 cups water
- 3/4 cup cooked black beans (or half of 15 ounce can of black beans, drained)
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 3/4 cup cooked brown rice
- ½-1 cup mild salsa (adjust to taste)
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 8-inch whole wheat tortillas
- Optional toppings: guacamole or Creamy Avocado Dip, sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, pico de gallo
- Add 1-2 tablespoons olive oil to large skillet. Preheat over medium to medium high heat.
- Sauté chicken until cooked through (no longer pink), about 3-4 minutes.
- Add water, taco seasoning, black beans, corn, brown rice, and salsa. Turn heat down to low and let mixture simmer for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Assemble burritos. Add a generous 1/3 cup meat mixture and 3 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese to each tortilla. Pull in each end of tortilla and roll up tightly.
- Warming options: a) Wrap tortilla in foil and heat through in a 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes. (From frozen, 20-25 minutes) b) Wrap tortilla in a moist paper towel and warm in the microwave in 30 second increments until heated through.
- Serve with optional toppings.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
1. Place whole chicken breasts (note: do not dice!) in the slow cooker and top with the water and taco seasoning. Cook on LOW for 2-3 hours, just until cooked through.
2. Shred the chicken. Stir in the beans, corn, cooked rice, and salsa. Cook on LOW for another 1-2 hours until flavors blend.
3. Following directions from above starting with Step 4.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Complete recipe through Step 4. Wrap each individual burrito in foil and place in gallon-sized ziptop bag. Place in freezer.
Thaw burrito(s) in the refrigerator overnight (preferred method) and then warm through according to Step 5a directions. Another thaw option is to remove foil, wrap burrito in moist paper towel, and microwave in 30 second increments until heated through (about 2 minutes depending on microwave). Open up the burrito halfway through reheating, to allow the inside ingredients to get warmed.
Cooking Tip: If making in bulk for a Freezer Party, remember to prep the chicken (dice & pat dry) and make the instant brown rice before starting the recipe.