These simple, individual chicken burritos make for a filling, healthy, and satisfying lunch or dinner anywhere and anytime. Be sure to double the batch and freeze some for later.
Why We Love On-the-Go Chicken Burritos
Our family is kind of obsessed with these make-ahead chicken burritos. I regularly pull them straight from the freezer to either warm in the oven or microwave for a quick and healthy lunch or dinner. Keep them in the freezer at work, send in a child’s lunch box (simply heat and wrap in foil), or grab-and-go on busy nights.I have a feeling we are going to depend strongly on these once the school chaos starts up again!
Similar Recipes to On-the-Go Chicken Burritos
If you want an even simpler, meatless burrito version, try our Make Ahead Lunch Wraps. It doesn’t get much easier to make healthy food in bulk!
Or try our delicious Beef and Bean Burritos from our popular cookbook, From Freezer to Table. We include all the freezer instructions, too.
What Sides Should I Serve with On-the-Go Chicken Burritos?
We have several delicious Mexican-inspired and other side dishes that would go well with these burritos. Give one of of these healthy and delicious options a try…
Salad with Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
On-the-Go Chicken Burritos are perfect for those crazy evenings when you’re in and out or for a slower sit-down meal around the table. Either way they are great!Print
These simple, individual chicken burritos make for a filling, healthy, and satisfying lunch or dinner anywhere and anytime.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (about 1 lb) chicken breasts, diced and patted very dry
- 1 packet store-bought mild taco seasoning (or use this homemade taco seasoning)
- 2/3 cups water
- 3/4 cup cooked black beans (or half of 15 ounce can of black beans, drained)
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 3/4 cup cooked brown rice
- ½–1 cup mild salsa (adjust to taste)
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 (8-inch) whole wheat tortillas
- Optional toppings: Guacamole or Creamy Avocado Dip, sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, pico de gallo
Make It Now:
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- When the oil is shimmery, add the chicken and sauté until cooked through (no longer pink), about 3-4 minutes.
- Add water, taco seasoning, black beans, corn, brown rice, and salsa. Bring the mixture to a simmer and then turn the heat down to low. Let mixture simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Assemble burritos. To each tortilla, add a generous 1/3 cup chicken and bean mixture and 3 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese . Pull in each end of tortilla and roll up tightly. (Freezing instructions begin here.)
- Warming options:
- Wrap tortilla in foil and heat through in a 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes. (from frozen, 20-30 minutes)
- Wrap tortilla in a moist paper towel and warm in the microwave in 30 second increments until heated through.
- Serve with optional toppings.
Freeze for Later: Complete recipe through Step 4. Wrap each individual burrito in foil and place in gallon-sized freezer bag. Seal and freeze.
Prepare from Frozen: Options for reheating:
Option 1: Thawed: Thaw burritos in the refrigerator overnight and then place in a 350°F oven for 15-20 minutes, until warmed through. Another thaw option is to remove foil, wrap burrito in moist paper towel, and microwave in 30 second increments until heated through (about 2 minutes depending on microwave). Open up the burrito halfway through reheating, to allow the inside ingredients to get warmed.
Option #1: Frozen: Preheat oven to 350°F. Keep burrito(s) wrapped in the foil. Heat in the oven for 20-30 minutes, until heated through. Another thaw option is to remove foil, wrap burrito in moist paper towel, and microwave in 30 second increments until heated through (about 4 minutes depending on microwave). Open up the burrito halfway through reheating, to allow the inside ingredients to get warmed.
How to Make in the Slow Cooker:
1. Place whole chicken breasts (note: do not dice!) in the slow cooker and top with the water and taco seasoning. Cook on LOW for 2 1/2 – 3 hours, just until cooked through (no more pink in the center and shreds easily).
2. Shred the chicken. Stir in the beans, corn, cooked rice, and salsa.
3. Following directions from above starting with Step 4.