This post may contain affiliate or sponsored links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This gluten-free, dairy-free Mexican Chopped Salad is fresh, vibrant, and makes a great lunch or a meal for groups of people. Top if off with our Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette for a delicious side dish that will go well with almost any meal.
However, after recently tweaking this Mexican Chopped Salad and fine-tuning its vinaigrette, I have no doubt this salad will find it’s way into our regular rotation.
What’s In Mexican Chopped Salad?
This salad is packed with a delicious combination of Mexican-inspired flavors and textures. Don’t feel too locked into these ingredients, though. You can swap out or add veggies to your liking. That’s the beauty about salads!
Here is what you’ll need for the salad:
- Leafy green lettuce – Romaine work well
- Black beans – Rinsed and drained
- Corn – Canned, frozen, or fresh
- Tomatoes – I used cherry tomatoes but any kind will work
- Cucumber – Could sub for a bell pepper
- Avocado – Add right before serving so it doesn’t turn brown
- Red onion – Make sure to dice this up really well. Adds lots of flavor!
What Dressing to Use with Mexican Chopped Salad
The vinaigrette is light and zingy. There is a hit of sweetness added by the honey. The “zing” comes from the apple cider vinegar. It reminds me a bit of our addictive Texas Caviar Dip.
I have written the recipe so that you blend the dressing in a food processor or blender. However, I’ve been known to skip that step and just give it a good shake. The cilantro pieces will be bigger but, if that doesn’t bother you, feel free to skip the blending step.
What to Serve with Mexican Chopped Salad
This salad will go well with all sorts of recipes. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Mexican Soup, which is also great for a crowd
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
- 6 cups of leafy green lettuce (romaine hearts work well), chopped
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes or halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumbers
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Make the salad. Place all ingredients in a large salad bowl. Hold off on adding avocado until the very end.
- Make the dressing. Place all the dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor. Process until cilantro is well incorporated.
- Toss the salad with the avocado and desired amount of dressing.
To make it creamy, add half an avocado to the dressing before processing.
If you like making your own salad dressing at home, be sure to check out our 10+ Healthy Homemade Salad Dressings.