This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
With only 5 main ingredients–potatoes, cheese, sausage (or bacon), eggs, and milk, this Breakfast Casserole with Hash Browns is a cinch to throw together. You can even make it ahead of time and store in the fridge, or make this into a freezer meal using our instructions.
This post was created in partnership with Hy-Vee (Columbia).
Reasons We Love of the 5 Ingredient Breakfast Casserole
If a cheesy hash brown casserole had a baby with a traditional breakfast casserole (the kind with bread), you’d end up with this Breakfast Casserole with Hash Browns! It’s hearty, cheesy, and full of flavor from the meat and cheese. Bonus: This dish is gluten-free!
You can make it with your choice of meat: pork sausage, turkey sausage, or bacon. We like it with any of those choices. Amp up the flavor by adding in your favorite chopped and sautéed vegetables. Onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, spinach or kale would all be delicious additions. But, we decided to keep this recipe simple–5 main ingredients, in fact.
By the way, you may want to try some of our other popular 5 ingredient recipes:
- Turkey Pesto Paninis
- Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice Foil Packs
- Cheddar Chive Burgers
- 5 Ingredient Stovetop Mac and Cheese
Ingredients for Breakfast Casserole with Hash Browns
Here are the 5 main ingredients you’ll need to make this hearty and comforting casserole…
- All-natural ground pork sausage or turkey sausage (Sub: uncured bacon, see Cooking Notes)
- Refrigerated or frozen shredded hash browns (you’ll need to thaw them if they are frozen)
- Shredded cheddar cheese (Dairy-free option: Omit the cheese.)
- Milk (Dairy-free option: Use unsweetened, plain almond milk or oat milk.)
You’ll also need a few pantry staples–salt, pepper, and a little cooking oil. You can eat the casserole “as is” or top it with items like hot sauce, salsa, ketchup, freshly chopped tomatoes and avocado.
Where to Get Your Ingredients
We suggest grabbing all your ingredients at your local Hy-Vee grocery store or using their Aisles Online to have your groceries delivered or prepared for pick up. They are always well-stocked and offer the best meat and produce around.
To make things easy for you, we’ve already started a custom shopping cart with all the 5 Ingredient Breakfast Casserole ingredients to save you time…
Watch this 1 minute video to see just how simple this casserole is to make…
How to Make Breakfast Casserole with Hash Browns
After browning and draining the sausage, generously spray an 8×8 inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Then, add a layer of half of the shredded hash browns…
Next, add half the sausage…
Finally, sprinkle on half of the cheese in the dish, and repeat with the remaining hash browns, sausage, and cheese.
Now you’ll make the egg mixture. Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the casserole.
Bake the casserole, uncovered, in a 350°F oven for 45-50 minutes or until bubbly around the edges.
How to Serve It
Serve a slice of casserole warm and, if desired, top with toppings like salsa, sour cream, chopped green onion, and diced avocado. Fresh fruit and berries make a great side dish, or serve it with one of our smoothies.
More Easy Breakfast Recipes to Try
Easy to freeze, warm, and take on the go, kids and parents alike love these savory casserole muffins.
We can’t get enough of Overnight Oats in our homes! In addition to our 7 Smoothie Pack Recipes, they are one of the easiest ways to consume whole grains, fruits, and good-for-you proteins every single morning.
Use our 7 different well-tested frozen smoothie pack recipes to start filling your freezer today. My favorite is Chocolate Covered Cherry!
These burritos are super handy to have in the freezer for busy mornings or an on-the-go dinner. Hearty and delicious!
Fluffy eggs and bacon are a classic, easy breakfast that will bring the whole family together to start the day.
Don’t forget, to make things easy for you, we’ve already started a custom shopping cart with your Breakfast Casserole ingredients to save you time…
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 pound all-natural ground pork sausage or turkey sausage (Sub: uncured bacon, see Cooking Notes)
- 3 cups refrigerated or thawed* frozen shredded hash browns
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (DF option: Omit the cheese.)
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk (DF option: Use unsweetened, plain almond milk or oat milk.)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- Optional toppings: hot sauce, salsa, ketchup , freshly chopped tomatoes and avocado
*You’ll need to mostly thaw your frozen hash browns before putting together this casserole. Do this overnight in fridge or using your microwave’s defrost setting. Dab off any excess moisture paper towel.
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
Make It Now:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is shimmery, add the sausage and cook until browned and cooked through, breaking it up as it cooks. Transfer the sausage to a paper towel–lined plate to drain and set aside.
- Generously spray an 8×8 inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Layer 1 ½ cups of the hash browns, half the sausage, and ¾ cups of the cheese in the dish, then repeat with the remaining hash browns, sausage, and cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour over the ingredients in the dish. (Freezing instructions begin here.)
- Bake, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes or until edges are bubbly, the middle is set, and top is golden. Tent with foil if the top starts to get too brown before it’s done. (Note: If the casserole was still cold when you put it in or if it was previously frozen, it will likely take longer. Our tests showed that it will take about 60 minutes to bake after being frozen and thawed. This is because of the extra liquid that’s released during that process.)
- Let the casserole sit for 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm, topped with hot sauce, salsa, or ketchup, if desired. Season with more salt and pepper, if desired.
Freeze For Later: Skip Step 1. Follow Steps 2-4, tightly wrap the casserole in plastic wrap or foil, and freeze.
Prepare From Frozen: Note: You may want to have hot sauce, salsa, or ketchup on hand for serving. Thaw completely. Follow Steps 5-6, except bake for about 60 minutes or until set in the middle.
You can use bacon in place of the sausage. It’s a delicious replacement! We suggest baking it using this recipe and then chopping it up to avoid the stovetop mess.
Want More Easy, Freezer-Friendly Meal Ideas?
Be sure to check out our 70+ “Best of the Best” Freezer Meals.