Looking for an easy breakfast idea? We love this easy Breakfast Casserole Muffin recipe. It’s made with simple ingredients that you likely have in your kitchen. These make a fabulous, freezer-friendly breakfast. For sure worth a try!
Easy Breakfast Casserole Muffins: What’s Not to Love?
Easy Breakfast Casserole Muffins have been a reader favorite for a LONG time. Maybe it’s because they come together quickly with ingredients you likely have on hand. Or possibly because they are budget-friendly. Or maybe it’s because they work beautifully as a make-ahead breakfast idea. (Here are many other make-ahead breakfast ideas, FYI.) For many reasons, we think you are going to LOVE this recipe. Here is a quick look at how it comes together.
When you make these savory muffins, it’s super easy to include your kids in the preparation. My kiddos love helping me tear up leftover bread pieces (which I store in a ziplock in the freezer) and placing them in each greased muffin tin. They also help sprinkle shredded cheese, tear up and scatter ham pieces, and stir the egg mixture. It’s such an easy breakfast idea!
The measurements in my recipe are approximate. It’s hard to mess these up, so use your judgment as you go. You can also jazz them up with some chopped spinach, parsley, or different kinds of cheese.
Or you can keep it simple and kid-friendly. Your call!
How to Freeze and Thaw Breakfast Casserole Muffins
Wondering if these work as a freezer meal? I have great news for you. They work beautifully as a make-ahead breakfast idea!
How to Freeze: To freeze our breakfast casserole muffins, simply follow the recipe instructions and fully cook them. Let them cool and store them in an airtight freezer bag or container.
How to Prepare: One of the best things about this recipe is that you can cook them straight from frozen! Simply wrap in a moist paper towel and microwave in 30 second increments until warmed through (about 1-2 minutes).
Ready to make your own?Print
We love this easy Breakfast Casserole Muffin recipe. It’s made with simple ingredients that you likely have in your kitchen. These make a fabulous, freezer friendly breakfast. For sure worth a try!
- 3–4 pieces whole wheat bread, torn into small pieces (enough to fill muffin tins almost to top)
- 3–4 slices deli ham (look for preservative-free), chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper (or more or less to taste)
- dried parsley, for garnish
Make It Now:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a muffin tin very well or use a silicone muffin tin.
- Drop bread pieces evenly in muffin tins until they come about 2/3 of the way up the tin.
- Sprinkle ham pieces evenly in each tin.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly in each tin.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, ground mustard, and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture evenly in each muffin tin.
- Sprinkle a little dried parsley on the top of each one to add a pop of color.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown on top and cooked through the middle.
Freeze For Later: Bake according to instructions and let fully cool. Place muffins in a single layer in a gallon-sized freezer container or bag. Seal well, squeezing out excess air, and freeze.
Prepare From Frozen: Wrap a muffin in a moist paper towel and microwave in 30 seconds increments until heated through (about 1-2 minutes). Or thaw in the refrigerator and warm in the microwave.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
What to Serve with Breakfast Casserole Muffins
I personally love pairing these with a smoothie. Here are smoothie recipes we recommend:
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Smoothie
- 4-Ingredient Tropical Green Smoothie
- Blueberry Muffin Smoothie
- Orangesicle Smoothie
- Strawberry Piña Colada Smoothie
- Green Machine Smoothie
The Best Freezer Meal Resources
Looking for more freezer meal resources? Here are two you’ll love!