This light and delicious pasta dish will leave your guests asking for the recipe. Whole wheat pasta combined with chicken, asparagus, bell peppers, and green beans creates a flavorful masterpiece!
- 12 oz pkg whole wheat penne pasta
- ½ lb asparagus, chopped
- ½ lb green beans, chopped (you can sub asparagus here)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup onions, diced
- ½ cup fresh red bell peppers, chopped
- ½ cup fresh yellow bell peppers, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chicken breasts, diced
- Garnish: freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well; return pasta to hot pot. Cover; add a little olive oil (to keep from sticking) and keep warm.
- While pasta is cooking, season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Then, in a large skillet, saute over medium to medium-high heat until no longer pink. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, add asparagus, green beans, peppers, chicken broth, onions, peppers, Italian seasoning, and garlic. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer for about 8 minutes or until liquid is reduced to ¼ cup. Note: You want the vegetables to still have a crisp-tender texture.
- Stir in parsley, vinegar, and olive oil. Add extra olive oil, if you want at this point.
- Toss with hot cooked pasta and chicken.
- Top with lots of freshly grated Parmesan cheese!