Take your grilled cheese game to the next level with our 4 Ingredient Gourmet Grilled Cheese recipe. Stuffed with shredded Gruyère and caramelized onions, this melty, flavor-packed, one-of-a-kind grilled cheese will be your new go-to sandwich.
- 3–4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Vidalia onion, sliced very thin
- 4 large slices sourdough bread
- 6 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 25-30 minutes, until the onion is golden and caramelized. Remove from skillet.
- Turn the heat up to medium. Spread butter on the outside pieces of sandwich bread. Lay flat with insides up and spread cheese and onion out evenly between the two sandwiches. Place the tops on the sandwiches and cook them in the skillet, flipping once until the cheese is melted and bread is golden brown.
This recipe makes two large sandwiches. Could easily serve 4 people, if cut in half and served with tomato soup. I like to sprinkle a little dried thyme over the onion while it’s cooking.