This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Take your grilled cheese game to the next level with our Gourmet Grilled Cheese recipe that has only 4 ingredients. Stuffed with shredded Gruyère and caramelized onions, this melty, flavor-packed, one-of-a-kind grilled cheese will be your new go-to sandwich.
What 4 Ingredients Make the Perfect Gourmet Grilled Cheese?
While I do enjoy a simple, down the pipe grilled cheese sandwich, I have tinkered with a good thing and made it better. Like, SO much better. Like, it’s the only type of grilled cheese that we will make now, better.
The gourmet-ness starts with the bread. Sourdough bread will be your BFF when making a killer grilled cheese. It grills up beautifully, staying soft inside but maintaining a crispy outside at the same time. The butter on the outside adds–well–a delicious buttery flavor, too!
The next thing that makes this sandwich gourmet is the caramelized onions. Do not skip this step, I beg of you. Those caramelized onions bring in an irreplaceable sweet-savory flavor that blends beautifully with the Gruyère cheese, which is the final ingredient that takes this sandwich sky-high, over the top.
What is Gruyère Cheese?
If you haven’t had it, Gruyère cheese is a hard yellow cheese that is usually found in the gourmet cheese section. Gruyère is sweet but slightly salty, with a flavor that varies widely with age. It is often described as creamy and nutty when young, becoming more assertive, earthy, and complex as it matures (source).
Ready to make our 4 Ingredient Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich?? I highly recommend serving it with our Tomato Bisque!
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
- 3–4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Vidalia onion, sliced very thin
- 4 large slices sourdough bread
- 6 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 25-30 minutes, until the onion is golden and caramelized. Remove from skillet.
- Turn the heat up to medium. Spread butter on the outside pieces of sandwich bread. Lay flat with insides up and spread cheese and onion out evenly between the two sandwiches. Place the tops on the sandwiches and cook them in the skillet, flipping once until the cheese is melted and bread is golden brown.
This recipe makes two large sandwiches. Could easily serve 4 people, if cut in half and served with tomato soup. I like to sprinkle a little dried thyme over the onion while it’s cooking.