This post may contain affiliate or sponsored links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Take your grilled cheese game to the next level with our 4-Ingredient Gourmet Grilled Cheese recipe.
About Gourmet Grilled Cheese
Stuffed with shredded Gruyère and caramelized onions, this melty, flavor-packed, one-of-a-kind grilled cheese will be your new go-to sandwich.
Serve it with one of our easiest side dishes, Garlic Green Beans, for a delicious well-rounded meal.
“I also like to add thinly sliced apple to the sandwich. The combination of the onion, cheese, and apple is delicious.” ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ – Kim
While I do enjoy a simple, down-the-pipe grilled cheese sandwich, I have tinkered with a good thing and made it better.
Here is what you need:
- Sourdough bread – It grills up beautifully, staying soft inside but maintaining a crispy outside at the same time.
- Gruyère Cheese – Gruyère is sweet but slightly salty, with a flavor that varies widely with age. It is often described as creamy and nutty when young, becoming more assertive, earthy, and complex as it matures (source).
- Butter – Salted or unsalted will work fine.
- Caramelized Onions – Those caramelized onions bring in an irreplaceable sweet-savory flavor that blends beautifully with the Gruyère cheese.
What’s a good substitute for Gruyère Cheese?
If you are looking for a substitute for Gruyere cheese, there are a few options that you can consider depending on the dish you are making and your personal preferences:
- Havarti cheese – This one is easy to find at the store and makes a good substitute in this recipe.
- Emmental cheese: This is a Swiss cheese that is similar in flavor and texture to Gruyere, but it is milder and has larger holes.
- Comté cheese: This is a French cheese that is made from cow’s milk and has a nutty, fruity flavor similar to Gruyere. It is also a semi-hard cheese.
- Fontina cheese: This Italian cheese has a nutty, earthy flavor and a texture that is similar to Gruyere. It melts well and is a good option for dishes like gratins, pizza, and sandwiches.
- Cheddar cheese: This is a sharper, more tangy cheese that is not quite as nutty as Gruyere, but it is a good substitute if you are looking for a cheese that melts well and has a strong flavor.
Ultimately, the best substitute for Gruyere cheese will depend on the dish you are making and your personal preferences.
How do I carmalize an onion?
Caramelizing onions in butter is a delicious way to bring out their natural sweetness and add flavor to many dishes. Here’s how to caramelize an onion:
- Begin by peeling the onion and slicing it thinly. You can cut it into rings or half-moons, depending on your preference.
- Heat a large skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Add the butter and let it melt and heat up.
- Add the sliced onions to the pan and stir to coat them with the butter.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the onions cook slowly, stirring occasionally. It’s important to cook them slowly to allow the natural sugars in the onion to caramelize and create a rich, sweet flavor.
- Cook the onions for 20-30 minutes, or until they are a deep golden brown color and have a soft, tender texture.
- Season the onions with salt and pepper to taste.
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
- 3–4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Vidalia onion, sliced very thin
- 4 large slices sourdough bread
- 6 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 25-30 minutes, until the onion is golden and caramelized. Remove from skillet.
- Turn the heat up to medium. Spread butter on the outside pieces of sandwich bread. Lay flat with insides up and spread cheese and onion out evenly between the two sandwiches. Place the tops on the sandwiches and cook them in the skillet, flipping once until the cheese is melted and bread is golden brown.
This recipe makes two large sandwiches. Could easily serve 4 people, if cut in half and served with tomato soup.
Sprinkle a little dried or fresh thyme over the onion while it’s cooking.
Make 6 Dump-and-Go Freezer Meals in 1 Hour!
- Shopping & equipment lists
- Step-by-Step instructions & video tutorial
- Serving suggestions & dietary substitutions & more