Yum yum yum. Theses Ground Beef Philly Cheesesteaks are super easy to make and my whole family loves them.
These bad boys were a crowd-pleaser the other night. And trust me, with the ever-shifting big feelings about food in my home, a meal that everyone likes is a big win. In fact, my husband was flabbergasted that this wasn’t going into our cookbook. I tried to explain that, “We have to save some good ones for the blog,” but he shook his head in disbelief.
Here is a short video showing you how easily these come together
So, dear reader. This is a cookbook worthy recipe that you I’m sharing today. So. Dang. Good.
How to Make Ground Beef Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches
Start by dicing up 1/2 of a green pepper, 1/2 cup diced Portobello mushrooms, and 1 small vidalia (yellow) onion.
Saute those in some olive oil and toss in a bit of garlic at the end.
After the veggies have softened, set them aside. In the same pan, brown some ground beef.
At the end, season it with salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix everything together and prepare to fend off hungry people as they are lured into the kitchen by the tempting aroma.
Butter the outside of two pieces of sourdough bread. Put a slice of cheese down, a scoop of the meat mix and then another slice of cheese. Top it off with the 2nd piece of bread.
Place it on the skillet and cook over medium-low for about 3-4 minutes. Enough time to brown the bread and melt the cheese.
Serve it warm with some fruits and veggies and enjoy a meal without complaints from your people.
Can I Freeze Ground Beef Philly Cheesesteaks?
You bet! I would advise freezing them as a kit.
To Freeze For Later: Follow instructions through Step 3. Place the cooled meat/veggie mixture in a freezer bag and seal. Freeze the meat, cheese slices, and bread together as a meal kit.
To Prepare From Frozen: Thaw the meat kit components in the refrigerator overnight. Follow Steps 4-5.
What Should I Serve with Ground Beef Philly Cheesesteaks?
Here are some side dish ideas that would go well with this recipe:
- Corn on the Cob (cooked in the microwave)
- Grilled Asparagus
- Sweet and Savory Roasted Carrots
- Simple green salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing
- Oven Steak Fries
Easy dinner idea that doesn’t take long to make and makes for great leftovers later.
- 1–2 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced (or more, if you’d like)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced portobello mushrooms (or more, if you’d like)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef (Here’s where we get our grass-fed beef.)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons softened butter
- 12 slices Provolone cheese
- 12 slices sourdough bread
Make It Now:
- Make the Filling: In a large saute pan, heat oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Saute bell peppers, onions and mushrooms until they begin to soften, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook about 30-60 more seconds. Remove the veggies to a medium-sized bowl (you’ll use this later for the meat, so make sure it’s at least medium-sized).
- Add the ground beef to the same saute pan and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon or spatula along the way, until there is no longer any pink showing. Drain any excess grease.
- Stir in Worcestershire, salt, pepper, and the cooked veggies until everything is combined. (Freezing instructions begin here.) Remove the meat mixture to the bowl the veggies were in earlier. Wipe out the pan until clean.
- Build the Sandwiches: Lay the bread slices on a cutting board and butter one side of each piece of bread. Then lay them butter side down. On the inside of one piece of bread, place a slice of cheese, scoop about 1/3 cup of the beef mixture on top of that, top with another slice of cheese, and place another piece of bread on top (butter side up).
- Grill the Sandwiches: Place the saute pan over medium-low heat. Grill each sandwich for 2-3 minutes per side, until the outside is browned and cheese is melted.
Freeze For Later: Follow instructions through Step 3. Place the cooled meat/veggie mixture in a freezer bag and seal. Freeze the meat, cheese slices, and bread together as a meal kit.
Prepare From Frozen: Thaw the meat kit components in the refrigerator overnight. Follow Steps 4-5.