Yum yum yum. Theses Ground Beef Philly Cheesesteaks are super easy to make and my whole family loves them.
Affiliate links included. See full disclosure here.
These bad boys were a crowd pleaser the other night. And trust me, with the ever-shifting big feelings about food in my home, a meal that everyone likes is a big win. In fact, my husband was flabbergasted that this wasn’t going into our cookbook. I tried to explain that, “We have to save some good ones for the blog,” but he shook his head in disbelief.
So, dear reader. This is a cookbook worthy recipe that you I’m sharing today. So. Dang. Good.
How to Make Ground Beef Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches
Start by dicing up 1/2 of a green pepper, 1/2 cup diced Portobello mushrooms, and 1 small vidalia (yellow) onion. Saute those in some olive oil and toss in a bit of garlic at the end.
After the veggies have softened, set them aside. In the same pan, brown some ground beef. At the end, season it with salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix everything together and prepare to fend off hungry people as they are lured into the kitchen by the tempting aroma.
Butter the outside of two pieces of sourdough bread. Put a slice of cheese down, a scoop of the meat mix and then another slice of cheese. Top it off with the 2nd piece of bread.
Place it on the skillet and cook over medium-low for about 3-4 minutes. Enough time to brown the bread and melt the cheese.
Serve it warm with some fruits and veggies and enjoy a meal without complaints from your people.
That is of course, assuming that your grapes aren’t too soft…
Or the carrots aren’t too orange…
Or that their water is too wet.
So, you might have some complaints. Just not about the sandwiches. 🙂 Enjoy!Print
Easy dinner idea that doesn’t take long to make and makes for great leftovers later.
- 1–2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced portobello mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef (here’s where we get our meat)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons softened butter
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- 12 slices sourdough bread
- In a medium skillet, warm oil to a medium heat and saute bell peppers, onions and mushrooms until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic in and cook about 30 more seconds. Set veggies aside.
- In the same pan add the ground beef and cook over medium heat until there is no longer any pink showing. (I like to keep the ground beef kind of chunky.) Stir in salt, pepper and Worcestershire.
- Add in the veggies and stir until everything is combined.
- On the inside of your bread, place a slice of cheese down, scoop about 1/3 cup of the beef mixture on top of that and then top with another slice of cheese. Butter the outside of each piece of bread and place it on a skillet. Cook over medium-low heat for 3-4 minutes until the outside is browned and cheese is melted.