This large batch freezer friendly Instant Pot Tomato Soup has been a huge win in my house over and over again. You won’t even consider touching canned tomato soup again.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced (about 2 cups)
- 6 carrots, peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or stock (sub: chicken stock)
- 4 (14.5 ounce) cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes, liquid and all
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup half and half, or more to taste
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Turn on Saute function and heat the oil. Saute the onion and carrots until just beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper to taste, and add the red pepper while they cook. Add the garlic the last 30-60 seconds of cook time. Press Cancel.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, and sugar. Season lightly with more salt and pepper and stir until combined. (Freezing instructions begin here.)
- Seal and lock the lid. Cook for 7 minutes on high pressure and then quick release the pressure.
- Either transfer the soup to a blender or use an immersion blender in the pot and puree until very smooth. (Note: Please be careful during this step! Don’t fill the blender entirely full. Cover the lid with a towel and hold securely while blending, so the lid doesn’t pop off.) Carefully, return the soup to the pot.
- Stir in the butter and half and half until butter is melted. Taste and then season the soup with salt and pepper to your preference.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with freshly shredded Parmesan cheese.
Freeze For Later: Follow Steps 1-2. Add the uncooked soup mixture to a gallon-sized freezer bag or round container. Seal and freeze. Tip: Set the freezer bag in a bowl in the freezer for a few hours to help it freeze in the shape of the Instant Pot.
Prepare From Frozen: Note: You will need butter, half and half, and Parmesan to complete this meal. Turn on the Saute function. Saute the frozen meal for 5 minutes to release some liquid. Press Cancel. Seal and lock the lid. Follow Steps 3-6, except cook for 12-15 minutes with a quick release.