Instant Pot Tomato Soup
This post may contain affiliate or sponsored links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This freezer-friendly Instant Pot Tomato Soup has it all. Since it is a great freezer meal, I’ve written the recipe to be very large. This meal works well for large groups or simply to freeze as leftovers in small portions for lunches down the road.
I am all about taking killer recipes and translating them to work in the Instant Pot. Tomato soup is a recipe that the Instant Pot was made for. It comes together incredibly fast and only uses a few dishes.
When I shared about making this large batch Instant Pot Tomato Soup on our Instagram Stories a few days ago, I didn’t realize what a fan favorite it’d be.
“I’m legit scratching down notes during these instastories!”-@caradougal
“This is by far my favorite recipe in your cookbook!”-@mleman217
As a former tomato soup hater, I give this recipe credit for my conversion. My dear friends and loved ones, you’ll never go back to eating Tomato Soup from a can again.
Can I Make This in the Crockpot?
You bet! Simply follow the cooking directions but instead of cooking in the Instant Pot, cook it in the slow cooker for 4-6 hours.
Freezing and Storing Instant Pot Tomato Soup
Now here is the beauty of making a large batch of tomato soup in the Instant Pot: It only gets better after freezing. (At least, in my opinion). I took the leftovers from this batch and froze a few in individual portions and then the rest in a large portion. Now I have a few for quick lunches for myself and another for dinner down the road. Just use one of our three safe ways to thaw food and you’ll be set.
I’m super excited to get this freezer-friendly Instant Pot Tomato Soup recipe in your hands. And in my belly. Because I have a jar of it thawing out in the fridge as I type this. Yum!
Want More Freezer Meals for the Instant Pot?
We’ve got you covered. Hop over to this post highlighting 20+ Best of the Best Freezer Meals for the Instant Pot. It includes freezer meal instructions for EVERY recipe plus tons of pro tips and tricks we’ve learned over the years.
How to Make Tomato Soup in the Instant Pot
Note: If you don’t have an Instant Pot, no worries. Here is how to make the Tomato Bisque on the stove.
While the exact recipe is below, we wanted to make sure you knew about our Printable Instant Pot cooking times chart. It’s an amazing, well-tested resource that you must have if you own an Instant Pot.
OK, on to the recipe!
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
Instant Pot Tomato Soup (Freezer Meal)
This large-batch freezer-friendly Instant Pot Tomato Soup has been a huge win in my house over and over again. You won’t even consider touching canned tomato soup again.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced (about 2 cups)
- 6 carrots, peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or stock (sub: chicken stock)
- 4 (14.5-ounce) cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes, liquid and all
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup half and half, or more to taste
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Turn on Saute function and heat the oil. Saute the onion and carrots until just beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper to taste, and add the red pepper while they cook. Add the garlic the last 30-60 seconds of cook time. Press Cancel.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, and sugar. Season lightly with more salt and pepper and stir until combined. (Freezing instructions begin here.)
- Seal and lock the lid. Cook for 7 minutes on high pressure and then quick release the pressure.
- Either transfer the soup to a blender or use an immersion blender in the pot and puree until very smooth. (Note: Please be careful during this step! Don’t fill the blender entirely full. Cover the lid with a towel and hold securely while blending, so the lid doesn’t pop off.) Carefully, return the soup to the pot.
- Stir in the butter and half and half until butter is melted. Taste and then season the soup with salt and pepper to your preference.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with freshly shredded Parmesan cheese.
Freeze For Later: Follow Steps 1-2. Add the uncooked soup mixture to a gallon-sized freezer bag or round container. Seal and freeze. Tip: Set the freezer bag in a bowl in the freezer for a few hours to help it freeze in the shape of the Instant Pot.
Prepare From Frozen: Note: You will need butter, half and half, and Parmesan to complete this meal. Turn on the Saute function. Saute the frozen meal for 5 minutes to release some liquid. Press Cancel. Seal and lock the lid. Follow Steps 3-6, except cook for 12-15 minutes with a quick release.
Looking for more large meals? Here are 20 Easy Meal Ideas for a Large Group
Leave a Comment