This post may contain affiliate or sponsored links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This sweet potato cornbread recipe is so easy to make, incredibly delicious, and includes sneaky nutrition.
Cornbread is a classic side dish that almost all ages enjoy. Similar to our Make Ahead Breakfast Cake and our Chocolate Sweet Potato Banana Bread, we have snuck a powerhouse ingredient into the batter without altering the flavor: sweet potato!
- Whole milk
- Brown sugar
- Sweet potato puree – Microwave or bake a sweet potato, scoop out the flesh, and mash it up. Or, you can buy canned sweet potato puree.
- All-purpose flour – Gluten-free 1:1 baking flour will also work.
- Baking powder
How to Make Sweet Potato Corn Bread
Like many baked goods, in this cornbread recipe, you will mix the dry ingredients together first and set them aside.
After mixing the wet ingredients together, you will combine them with the dry ones to create the batter. Spread the batter evenly into a prepared metal baking pan.
If using a glass baking dish, add a few extra minutes to the baking time.
Bake that delicious cornbread and confirm that it’s done by checking to see if a toothpick comes out clean from the middle.
Make 6 Dump-and-Go Freezer Meals in 1 Hour
- Shopping & equipment lists
- Step-by-Step instructions & video tutorial
- Serving suggestions & dietary substitutions & more
Try Session 18 (a $6.99 value) for free!
Questions about Cornbread
Can you taste the sweet potato?
If you fully cook and puree the sweet potato, you really don’t taste it very much in the cornbread. The best way I can describe it is that it adds a hint of sweetness and fall flavor that you won’t find in a classic cornbread recipe.
It blends in perfectly with the batter and you get some extra nutrition!
Can you make it in a square pan?
Yep! This recipe works fine in either shaped pan. If you use a square pan, cut the cornbread into squares instead of triangles.
Can you make it without the sweet potato?
If you don’t have a sweet potato on hand, no worries. This recipe will work fine without it. It will bake a little faster so check for doneness around 15 minutes.
How to Freeze Cornbread
Cornbread can be stored in the freezer. Keep in mind that it will get a touch dried out through freezing and thawing, so be sure to serve with butter and honey!
To Freeze For Later: Bake cornbread just until done. Cool completely. Cover the baking dish tightly in a few layers of foil or plastic wrap, pressing as much air out as you can.
To Prepare From Frozen: Thaw on the counter. Warm a slice in the microwave for 15-20 seconds and top with a pat of butter, if desired.
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
- 1 cup whole milk (best if at room temp)
- 1 egg (best if at room temp)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sweet potato puree (flesh of 1 small sweet potato, mashed up)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (sub: gluten-free 1:1 baking flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a metal 9 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the milk, egg, brown sugar, sweet potato puree, and butter. Whisk together the ingredients until fully incorporated. If the butter starts to coagulate, that’s ok as long as it’s evenly mixed in throughout the batter.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet. Stir together just until combined but don’t over mix. (Over mixing will produce denser results.) Transfer to the baking pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
If using a glass plan, add a few minutes to the baking time.
Gluten-Free Version: Use 1:1 gluten-free baking flour in place of the all-purpose flour. Bob’s Red Mill is a brand we like for this product.