Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup will keep your family’s tummies full and cozy. Prepare yourself for unbeatable flavor packed into a delicious, hearty soup.
- 16 oz. mild Italian sausage, crumbled and browned
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, minced (or add to the soup whole and you can pull it out later)
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 oz. non-marinated) cans quartered artichoke hearts (liquid and all)
- 1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes (liquid and all)
- 1 (28 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 cans French Onion Soup
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth (I used 1 box)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 package frozen cheese multi-colored tortellini (I used Trader Joe’s tortellini)
- In a large stock pot over medium high heat, brown Italian sausage until cooked through. Add seasonings to the sausage. Set aside.
- Over medium high heat, saute onion, carrots, celery, and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add cooked sausage, artichoke hearts, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, French Onion Soup, broth, corn, and bay leaves to the pot and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add tortellini and cook according to package directions just a few minutes before serving.
- Remove bay leaves and serve with Parmesan cheese on top.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
To Freeze: Stop cooking the soup before adding tortellini. Completely cool the soup and place in a freezer bag or container. Squeeze out all air, seal tightly, and freeze. Place bag of frozen tortellini next to frozen soup to keep the meal together.
To Prepare: To reheat, thaw soup in the fridge but do not thaw the tortellini. In a stock pot, bring soup to a simmer on the stove over medium-high heat. Add tortellini and cook until done according to package directions. Serve as directed.