My husband begs me to make this soup in the fall. It’s got depth of flavor and interesting textures and is even better as leftovers.
This soup freezes well. Just follow the Freezer Meal directions at the bottom of the recipe.
- 16 oz. mild Italian sausage, crumbled and browned
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, minced (or add to the soup whole and you can pull it out later)
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 oz. non-marinated) cans quartered artichoke hearts (liquid and all)
- 1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes (liquid and all)
- 1 (28 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 cans French Onion Soup
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth (I used 1 box)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 package frozen cheese multi-colored tortellini (I used Trader Joe’s tortellini)
- In a large stock pot over medium high heat, brown Italian sausage until cooked through. Add seasonings to the sausage. Set aside.
- Over medium high heat, saute onion, carrots, celery, and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add cooked sausage, artichoke hearts, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, French Onion Soup, broth, corn, and bay leaves to the pot and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add tortellini and cook according to package directions just a few minutes before serving.
- Remove bay leaves and serve with Parmesan cheese on top.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
To Freeze: Stop cooking the soup before adding tortellini. Completely cool the soup and place in a freezer bag or container. Squeeze out all air, seal tightly, and freeze. Place bag of frozen tortellini next to frozen soup to keep the meal together.
To Prepare: To reheat, thaw soup in the fridge but do not thaw the tortellini. In a stock pot, bring soup to a simmer on the stove over medium-high heat. Add tortellini and cook until done according to package directions. Serve as directed.