Two of our favorite foods–pizza and soup–come together in this gluten-free, dairy-free Pizza Soup recipe to create a meal that’s healthy, filling, and incredibly tasty. It’s absolutely delicious and can be prepped as a freezer meal.
- 12 ounces fully-cooked, mild Italian chicken sausage, sliced
- 1 onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (24 ounce) jar or 3 cups of marinara sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes, liquid and all
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock or broth
- 4 ounces uncured turkey pepperoni, quartered (recommended: Applegate Uncured Turkey Pepperoni)
- 1 medium zucchini, diced (about 2 cups)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped or sliced (2-3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed in hand
- 2 cups chopped baby spinach
- Optional, for serving: freshly grated Parmesan cheese (omit if making this dairy-free)
- Add the sausage, onion, red pepper, garlic, marinara sauce, tomatoes, broth, pepperoni, zucchini, mushrooms, and oregano to either the slow cooker or the Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
- Cook according to one of these methods:
- Slow Cooker Method: Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. At the end, stir in the chopped spinach until it wilts.
- Instant Pot Method: Cook for 7 minutes at high pressure and use a quick release of the pressure. (Tip: Cover the spout as the pressure releases to avoid splatters.) Stir in the chopped spinach until it wilts.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Top with (optional) freshly grated or shredded Parmesan cheese.
Freeze For Later: Add all ingredients, except the spinach, to a gallon-sized freezer bag or round container. Seal and freeze. Tip: If making this from frozen in the Instant Pot, then set the freezer bag in a bowl in the freezer for a few hours to help it freeze in the shape of the Instant Pot.
Prepare From Frozen:
Slow Cooker: Thaw the soup completely. Cook as directed in Step 2.
Instant Pot: Turn on the Saute function. Saute the frozen meal for 5 minutes to release some liquid. Press Cancel. Cook at high pressure for 12-17 minutes with a quick release.