This post may contain affiliate or sponsored links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Two of our favorite meals–pizza and soup–come together in this gluten-free, dairy-free Pizza Soup recipe to create a meal that’s healthy, filling, and incredibly tasty. It’s absolutely delicious and can be prepped as a freezer meal.
OK, we admittedly have a thing for pizza. We have Homemade Pizza Sauce, Whole Wheat Pizza Dough, Pizza Bread, Pizza Stromboli, and English Muffin Pizzas. But, you know what we didn’t have until now? A delicious Pizza Soup recipe!
10+ Amazing Crock Pot Soups
If you like slow cooker soups, you will love this round up we have put together with our best of the best recipes.
Ingredients for Pizza Soup
What makes our Pizza Soup stand out from others is how flavorful and healthy it is. Look at this amazing lineup of ingredients!
- Fully-cooked, mild Italian chicken sausage – Look for all-natural chicken sausage (like Never Any! Mild Italian Chicken Sausage from Aldi)
- Red pepper flakes
- Marinara sauce – Make your own using our Slow Cooker Marinara Recipe.
- Fire roasted diced tomatoes
- Low sodium chicken broth – Here is how to make your own chicken broth.
- Uncured turkey pepperoni – Recommended: Applegate Uncured Turkey Pepperoni
- Baby spinach
A Short Video on How to Make Pizza Soup
Want to see how quickly Pizza Soup comes together? Watch this short video.
We know our readers love a tasty dump & go crockpot meal. You know, the types of recipes you simply dump into the cooker, press a button, and walk away?
However, after researching, testing, and writing a cookbook all about slow cooker meals, one of the big takeaways for us was that the large majority of “dump and go” crockpot meals just don’t turn out all that great. Often one ingredient is overcooked while another is undercooked or the meal just lacks flavor.
BUT… there are a few exceptions to this rule and Pizza Soup is definitely one of them!
Instant Pot Instructions
If you don’t want to go the low and slow method, use your Instant Pot to cook Pizza Soup. After testing hundreds of recipes for our cookbook, From Freezer to Cooker, we have narrowed down the perfect Instant Pot cooking times. In fact, you can snag a free Instant Pot Cooking Times Chart here.
To make this soup in the Instant Pot, add all of the ingredients into the pot. Cook for 7 minutes at high pressure and use a quick release of the pressure. (Tip: Cover the spout as the pressure releases to avoid splatters.) Stir in the chopped spinach until it wilts.
Can You Freeze Pizza Soup?
It’s no secret we are big fans of freezer meals around here. In fact, we have 2 freezer meal cookbooks, 1 Hour Freezer Prep Sessions, and even a round-up with 70+ freezer meal recipes that you will love!
So, yep, we have freezer meal instructions for Pizza Soup. In fact there are two methods to freezing this soup.
Option 1 (Before Cooking): Add all ingredients, except the spinach, to a gallon-sized freezer bag or round container. Seal and freeze in an airtight freezer container.
Option 2 (After Cooking): Follow all of the cooking instructions in the recipe below. Let cool and freeze in an airtight freezer container.
Option 1 (Before Cooking): Let the soup thaw completely. Then follow the cooking instructions for whatever cooking method you choose (see options below).
Option 2 (After Cooking): Let soup thaw completely. Then just warm up in the microwave or on the stove on low until desired temp.
Pro Tip: Make It an Instant Pot Freezer Meal
Press a button and dinner is done.
When you prep freezer meals for the Instant Pot, it’s seriously that easy! Here is how to make Pizza Soup into a freezer meal for the Instant Pot.
Step 1: Freeze the Meal in a Circular Form
Add all of the ingredients to a freezer bag and seal. Set the freezer bag in a bowl in the freezer for a few hours to help it freeze in the shape of the Instant Pot. This makes it SO much easier to plop into the cooker.
Step 2: Cook From Frozen
After you’ve added the meal to the Instant Pot, turn on the Sauté function. Sauté the frozen meal for 5 minutes to release some liquid. Press Cancel. Cook at high pressure for 12-17 minutes with a quick release.
What to Serve with Pizza Soup
While this recipe has enough going on to stand alone without any sides, here are some ideas if you want to add to your meal:
- Whole Wheat Crackers or sliced baguette
- Texas Toast
- Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
- A leafy green salad with Honey Dijon Vinaigrette
More Healthy Soups for the Instant Pot
If you like this recipe, we think you’ll enjoy these nutritious options, as well.
- Instant Pot Vegetable Soup
- Instant Pot Turkey Chili (with Sweet Potato and Black Beans)
- Instant Pot Pizza Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken and Tortellini Soup
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
- 12 ounces fully-cooked, mild Italian chicken sausage, sliced
- 1 onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (24 ounce) jar or 3 cups of marinara sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes, liquid and all
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock or broth
- 4 ounces uncured turkey pepperoni, quartered (recommended: Applegate Uncured Turkey Pepperoni)
- 1 medium zucchini, diced (about 2 cups)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped or sliced (2-3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed in hand
- 2 cups chopped baby spinach
- Optional, for serving: freshly grated Parmesan cheese (omit if making this dairy-free)
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Add the sausage, onion, red pepper, garlic, marinara sauce, tomatoes, broth, pepperoni, zucchini, mushrooms, and oregano to either the slow cooker or the Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
- Cook according to one of these methods:
- Slow Cooker Method: Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. At the end, stir in the chopped spinach until it wilts.
- Instant Pot Method: Cook for 7 minutes at high pressure and use a quick release of the pressure. (Tip: Cover the spout as the pressure releases to avoid splatters.) Stir in the chopped spinach until it wilts.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Top with (optional) freshly grated or shredded Parmesan cheese.
Freeze For Later: Add all ingredients, except the spinach, to a gallon-sized freezer bag or round container. Seal and freeze. Tip: If making this from frozen in the Instant Pot, then set the freezer bag in a bowl in the freezer for a few hours to help it freeze in the shape of the Instant Pot.
Prepare From Frozen:
Slow Cooker: Thaw the soup completely. Cook as directed in Step 2.
Instant Pot: Turn on the Saute function. Saute the frozen meal for 5 minutes to release some liquid. Press Cancel. Cook at high pressure for 12-17 minutes with a quick release.
We’ve rounded up 15+ amazing dump and go slow cooker recipes. Bonus: You can make them ahead and freeze these meals for later, too. Freezing instructions included!